1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb

Started by Jeremy Millan · 27 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Been wanting to build a Spitfire for a while now. The only Spitfire kit I ever built was the Revell one from back in the day. I'm using this Airfix kit as practice for airbrushing the camo. I also have the newer Spitfire Tamiya kit which I'll build later. This is what I got so far. I couldn't get the IP decal centered, oh well. The canopy will be closed and I dont think I'll notice it. Next time I'll cut it up in sections. Also got the side panels painted and weathered.

p.s. Not sure what paint scheme I'm doing yet but I'd like to paint all the markings. A Free French Spit would be cool... not sure if they flew Mk.Vb's though. Thanks

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 12 months ago:

If that interior is something to measure the endresult from it is very promising! I shall be strapped in here to follow your build Jeremy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 12 months ago:

You are having a great start, Jeremy.
    Those side panels look fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @jmillan!
    And great progress!
    The IP looks great from here 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 12 months ago:

Interior looks great, Jeremy (@jmillan). I have this kit in my stash and I am looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks good so far, Jeremy!

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thnx for the comments guys! Finally done with the bodywork I think and primer applied. This kit has been so much work so far. Was not expecting that for such a modern kit. Nothing seems to lineup, a lot of gaps and steps, filling and sanding the best I can but it's far from perfect. I guess I got use to good fitting Tamiya kits. haha. Maybe my kit was warped or something.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @jmillan!
    Interesting that the kit has fitting issues. Hope you have less of them as your build continues.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice progress, Jeremy.
    You did get rid of the gaps nicely, no signs of them by looking at the pictures.

• Profile Photo

Finally got the camo down, it took a few tries and I lost the pre shading and marble layer in the process. I'll try to recover some of that with post shading and oil work. Next will be spraying the markings and insignia then on to weathering. Thanks

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher C Tew said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Jeremy, that's really tight - and excellent - work on the camouflage. How did you get the color separation so neatly done?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Nice camo indeed, my friend @jmillan!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice achievement on that paintwork, Jeremy.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Jeremy (@jmillan). You can still see the underpainting faintly in the photos. My underpainting would usually disappear, so that's why I quit doing it. I go with post-shading and oils now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the comments guys. I finished up painting all the markings with masks I made at work. A little bit of white showing through but not too bad. I think they look better then decals. FYI This is a custom paint job “JS” representing my my daughter and I initials. Trying to Keep it fun. Weathering will be next. Going to keep this one pretty clean I think. Thanks.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.