1/48 F4U-1 Corsair

Started by Jordyn Collier · 9 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This was one of my gifts from Louis, and my next build while I take a break from the monster task of the 1/32 Corsair.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

You are moving right along ! This is some really great work...and it's looking good.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Nice one to build - the last one I build when I stopped a lot of years back was a Tamiya 1/48 Corsair. I been thinlking of getting it finished (did not get the last details done back then), and it has been on display ever since then wherever I lived! I'm tuned in on your build Jordyn @1corsair64

• Profile Photo

Wings are on. Now the most troubling peice. The wings were warped and it caused some fit issues. The flaps had the option for down or up, and I chose up because I have a display stand for a Corsair, so I'm putting it on that. But the warping caused issues with test fitting the flaps, so when I get to it, I'll see if I can finagle them into place.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Oh wow... I'm sorry to hear the wing parts were warped. I had no idea since the parts were still sealed in the plastic bags.

I recently had a similar experience with my 1/48 Monogram Panther jet. The wings had considerably warped. I had to use some clamps to hold things square as the glue dried. Sometimes you can use clothes pins, rubber bands, or even clear Scotch tape to hold things together too.

Hang in there...you can do it. I hope you can keep things sorted out, and I think you are headed in the right direction.

It's looking good what you have done so far, so please keep us posted.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I like to build old Monogram and Revell kits that I have been hanging on to for 40 or 50 years and have encountered warping in some of the parts, especially the fuselage and wing panels. Apparently 50 years in a garage or storage room aren't good for the parts. Like Louis says, tape and clamps usually do the trick. Good luck.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your words of encouragement Louis and George. And thank you for the tips

• Profile Photo

The flaps and guns and superchargers have been attached, and I ended up needing to fill some stuff with some Perfect Plastic Putty. But it looks good so far. I also decided on a fuel tank/bomb combo out of the 3 choices of fuel tank sets and a set of bombs. It was something I also saw on some reference photos. And I will be painting it as a representation of "Pappy" Boyingtons plane.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Well, I finished the paint scheme. I've had quite the absence recently. I lost a lot of mojo. Issues in my personal life I including a breakup with a long term relationship and a few other things just...drained me. I might try and weather it, but everything I've done just hasnt pleased me. So for now, I'm calling her done, and I will make an official post tomorrow. Goodnight yall.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.