1/48 Hobby Boss A-6A – “Flight of the Intruder”

Started by David Kopielski · 36 · 10 months ago · 1/48, A-6A, aircraft, Hobby Boss, Intruder
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Very impressive again, David @davids_models
    The stairs do look very nice.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is one of those planes that has detail everywhere you look. Great job, David (@davids_models).

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 10 months, 1 week ago:

FINAL SCENE:

The Lt Jake Grafton’s (Cool Hand) A-6A from the movie “Flight of the Intruder” is finished! I spent the eighth and final week completing the decals. The fuselage was then top coated with clear. I attached the forward nose gear door, the TER’s loaded with MK 83 bombs and the drop tank to the underside. On the topside I installed the windscreen, refueling probe, and canopy. I then painted the back sides of the tail and wingtip lights with chrome. The clear lenses were applied and then painted with Tamiya clear paints. This completed the build.

I had a plastic base that looks like a flight deck and decided to place the aircraft on it. I have some custom decals to make for a client and will add a decal that I can add the trim of the base later.

As for a review of this kit, it is a mostly decent kit. The biggest issue was the fuselage fit just forward of the cockpit. This required the most work to correct. The rest of the kit had a good fit with minimal putty along the seams. The shape of the top of the tail is also slightly off from the real aircraft. The top is a little flatter on the kit. A few minutes with some sandpaper and the shape was corrected. The instruction sheet is well laid out with a good assembly flow. Even though many of the aircraft scheme decals were made by me I did use the kit decals for the general things. The kit decals are very nice. They went down and adhered to the surface very well. The finished model looks great. The Eduard photo etch sets add nice details. The resin accessories worked out great. I am on the fence about recommending this kit only because of the fuselage fit. Overall I am pleased with the finished product. Thank you for following along on this build. Happy Modeling!

You can see all the photos and details from start to finish in my build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-a-6a-intruder-flight-of-the-intruder/

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Congratulations, my friend @davids_models! Another winner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

An absolute gem, David @davids_models
    She looks great on the headlines.
    Thanks a lot for this interesting thread.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Great model, David (@davids_models). Every time I see your model it brings back memories of the movie. Well done.