1/48 Kinetic Harrier trainer.

Started by John Healy · 11 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I just started this kit and realized that the instructions do not offer the most optimal way to install the engine’s fan face and shroud behind the cockpit. Kinetic’s shroud is beautifully molded as a single piece but they would have you cut it in two, join each side to the separate fuselage halves along with half portions of the nose gear well. The instructions also don’t mention the fan face. The part is there on Sprue C. Don’t forget to install this or you’ll have a pretty empty looking Harrier. I found it easiest to install the cockpit and main (rear) landing gear first to the right fuselage half. I didn’t bother with the mechanism that theoretically allows you to position all four exhaust nozzles at once. I’m installing the nozzles in fixed positions near the end of the build. Once the cockpit was in, I glued the fuselage halves together only at the nose. I then assembled both parts of the nose gear bay into one unit. At this point I trimmed the cockpit support off of the top of the fwd. part of the nose gear bay. You really don’t need it anyways. I slid the entire gear bay unit into place from the open top of the fuselage, making sure that it aligned on both sides of the fuselage at the intake area. I then popped the intake shroud in behind it and glue it secure. Finally , I glued the pre-repainted fan face into place and joined the rest of the fuselage halves together. This really is a nice kit and everything fits like a glove! I hope this helps make your construction a bit easier. See the attached photos...

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking forward to this one...don't recall seeing the two-seater built.

• Profile Photo

This one is going fast. Looking to start painting today.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing her in livery.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Great start! I always found the twin seaters a bit odd looking! In an interesting sort of way.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Richard! They are odd looking. They look a lot like wasps or hornets, especially the RAF T.4 with the laser nose and extended RWR stinger. I actually think I’m going to buy a second kit just to do that one too. I’m glad to see Kinetic and Airfix making new mold Harriers lately. It’s a type that deserves more attention from us modelers. I only saw one flying one time. It was at an air show in 1976 or 77 and I still remember how loud that thing was. Anyways, thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo

More progress today. This model involves a lot of decals. About 1/3 applied now.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 8 months ago:

I love that Spanish scheme on the Harrier - I'm going to have to add one of those to my collection.

• Profile Photo

Good old USN Gull gray over white. These are unique.

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Looking really impressive so far! Like the scheme u chose for the build. The cockpit detail/molding looks really nice in the model. I may need to give this one a shot someday. Have not built a Harrier in a long long time. Keep up the great work.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Almost finished. The canopies don’t fit well in the closed position and are going to prove difficult to securely attach in the open position.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.