1/48 Kitty Hawk F2H-2P Banshee with Rieth Creations correction set.

Started by John Healy · 49 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years ago:

The Kitty Hawk Banshee is probably the most disappointing kit that I’ve purchased in 50 years of modeling. The wing center section is bloated and resembles an egg plane caricature of a Banshee, the canopy does not feature a sliding mechanism, the tail is poorly shaped, and the decals are atrocious. There are several other inaccuracies and problems with this kit that I’ll illustrate as I build it. I received my kit shortly after it was released about 18 months ago, looked at it, and put it into the stash. I was going to build it, just not right away. It’s the only game in town for a -2/2P Banshee. Last fall, I became aware that one of our members, Michael Rieth was working on a correction set for the kit. The parts looked really nice and I resolved to acquire a set and have a go at a decent Banshee. I included a photo comparing the kit wing center section to the Rieth correction piece so you can see just how far off this model is. I also purchased the Furball Banshee decal set. The terrible, out of register kit decals bothered me more then anything else I think. They just add insult to injury if you buy one of these. Well here we go!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

I'm looking forward to this build.

I have the Furball Decals. They are thin and go down well. Keep an eye on the decal placement. I used the Micro Set/Sol and a couple of decals migrated as the solution evaporated and are in a different position from where I put them down.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years ago:

Looking forward to this. As I do wish to have a Banshee eventually and have been put off by the KH kit. Though shape never has been a problem on certain kits (Monogram's A/B-26 Invader) as you just get over it and build it. But reading some reviews, the Banshee is quite glaring. But there is hope now and will be watching and taking notes as you progress on this. Mike thanks for the heads up on the Furball decals as I just got a set for my Tomcat project and will be using these for the first time.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

I have a weakness for Korean War aircraft, especially the early Navy jets. Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

I’m going to really try to do this one justice. Taking my time and studying your blog posts. I rarely use Sol/Set anymore. I now almost always use Future to set decals.

• Profile Photo

The furball decals are so thin and light, I think they floated on the Micro Set before settling down. I should have pressed them down and then put the Micro Sol just on top.

I tried Vallejo Satin Clear as a final coat on recommendation from my LHS. It was like airbrushing milk. I still have to paint the black nonskid areas on the top of the center wing, but I'm afraid the masking tape will pull the clear up. I should have gone with my tried and true Testors semi-gloss lacquer mix.

I think the process on my blog works best after assembling 3 Banshees. Tom Cleaver went a different way on his wing and had different results.

• Profile Photo

I started cutting and gluing today. Just for fun though, I decided to compare the KH fuselage to the 65 year old Hawk Models fuselage. As you can see in the photo, not bad for a kit that’s older then me! I also taped up the fuselage with both gun and recce noses. I was sure that I’d build this kit as a photo bird, but now I’m not so sure. I found a lot of good color photos online of VF-62 Banshees onboard USS Lake Champlain in 1953 that beg to be modeled.

Back to the project. I did basic assembly of the cockpit, which is a bit shallow. It kind of reminds me of the Academy Hunter cockpit which is underscale. Yes, its a lame set up in an expensive kit, but it will be painted black and the canopy will be closed on this one. I also modified the nose gear fork and landing gear attachment points in the forward gear bay. The kit provides the forward gear set up for an F2H-3, not a -2. This is something that I wouldn’t have known had I not studied Michael Rieth’s blog. It’s a simple fix and adds a touch of accuracy.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I agree on the clear coat. Testors lacquer mixes never fail me either.

• Profile Photo

You really need to pay attention to how internal parts set up before final installation on this kit. Every part so far has needed some adjustment to fit.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

John, if it is not too late the armor back plate, part B 77, should actually be glued on backwards. Kitty Hawk instructions are wrong. You can cut the top armor plate and angle it backwards to the same angle as the seat. I removed the box that GP11 goes in as I haven't seen that in any photos. I actually used GP 11 for the loop antenna in the nose.

I can't credit the photo as it was taken from the internet.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Michael. Going to check it out now.

• Profile Photo

Also needs to be narrowed.

• Profile Photo

Modification complete. Thank God for CA as a filler. Thanks, Michael. This raises a new point in my mind. The seat looks too far forward. I’m going to move it rearward to be against the armor

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I’ll narrow it down after it sets up.

• Profile Photo

Correct angle, big gap.