1/48 Monogram SNJ.

Started by John Healy · 62 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

I started this one a couple of days ago. The last one I built was when it was brand new in 1979. It still has an amazing amount of detail molded in. I’m finishing it as the first option on the Caracal sheet shown. It’s an SNJ-5c from Barin Field, Alabama in the early ‘50s. Students would take the bus over to Barin from Pensacola and do their required qualifications aboard the USS Monterey in the Gulf of Mexico. I just need to source a hook from the spares box and add some Eduard seatbelts.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Good choice, John @j-healy
    The details on engine, instrument panel, side panels, are indeed very nice.
    Paint results are impressive already.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

Yeah, for anyone who's ever been around a T-6/SNJ, the Monogram kit, with its raised rivets and detail, is the most accurate for overall look. I picked one up at the LHS estate sale last year that had a nice Squadron/Falcon vacuform canopy included, which really helps things to be able to open up the canopy.

• Profile Photo

Yeah, for anyone who's ever been around a T-6/SNJ, the Monogram kit, with its raised rivets and detail, is the most accurate for overall look. I picked one up at the LHS estate sale last year that had a nice Squadron/Falcon vacuform canopy included, which really helps things to be able to open up the canopy.

• Profile Photo

You’re right Tom. My uncle owned one for many years and it was the coolest thing I ever got to fly in. That framework looks just like I remember it.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years ago:

This is a great little kit, I built one years back, and did an aluminum foil finish on it. Really enjoyed it. This should be a good build.
    At one point I interviewed at a shop that was restoring an SNJ. I didn't get the job in part because I didn't have any experience doing wet riveting, which is necessary since the SNJ has a wet wing. I have plenty of experience now having rebuilt the fuselage of a Grumman Goose which has to be water tight.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, my friend @j-healy, cannot wait to see it put together!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

I am really looking forward to the rest of the build, John (@j-healy). The Texan is one of my most favorite planes, and you can't beat one of the bright Navy paint schemes on a T-6.

• Profile Photo

More progress. The kit I’m using is what I think is the last issue from 2008. It’s got some flash, but once trimmed and cleaned up, it fits together surprisingly well. The biggest problem area so far is the instrument panels. The molds are worn and the detail is faint. Decals are provided but they’re poorly done. Pixilated and cheap looking. I dry brushed the panels, added crystal clear lenses and called it a day. Luckily, they’re pretty deeply positioned under the cowlings.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Cockpit looks great, my friend @j-healy!
    You brought the most out of those worn mold instrument panels.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros. I’m glad I bought 3 of these when they were available and on sale at the late, great Squadron. The parts are marked China, not Morton Grove anymore. I hope either Revell or Atlantis still have the molds for this because it’s a worthy kit.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years ago:

Hello John, @j-healy
    I just noticed this build journal of yours. Years ago, I had the opportunity to fly a T-6 (or SNJ as the Navy called them). Here it is... notice the tail of a Bf-108 Taifun type just to the left, and a Waco UPF-7 on the right. Later on I found out the Bf-108 Taifun was actually a Nord Noralpha which was developed from the Taifun.

I also remember building the model when it first came out in the late 1970's or early 80's. It was a very good model back then, and it will give a new tool kit a run for the money as far as accuracy goes. Sure you will have to deal with a little flash, because the molds have been used a "time or two". It's sad to see everything moving away from the USA. It's very hard to find something that isn't made in China anymore. I also hope that the molds are still in possession by Revell of Germany.

I have three of these kits in the stash. Two of the modern releases, and one that is molded in red as an air racer. It is boxed together with a Monogram P-51D "Miss America". I want to build one for the Korean War group.

I'm impressed with the work you have done with yours. Keep it coming buddy !

• Profile Photo

Looking good @j-healy. That cockpit looks exactly like what I was sitting in last July 4th.

@lgardner - the red "racer" kit has the exhausts for a Canadian Harvard. which gives you some additional options. It also has the later canopy with the "less-framed" option.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Cockpit is coming along nicely, John (@j-healy). Like many of the old Monogram kits, I think they still build up into some really nice models with a little TLC.

• Profile Photo

I agree, George. Monogram had a knack for molding in tons of detail on a minimal number of parts. As far as fit goes, I thought most were decent. Unless of course you got a warped one, which was somewhat common. They popped them out of the molds too fast sometimes. The B-26 was bad in that respect, as was the F-106 and F-102 with those huge wings.