1/48 Revellogram B-17G

Started by Mark P Hartig · 30 · 2 years ago · 1/48, USAAF, WW II
  • Profile Photo
    Mark P Hartig said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Got this for around $22 at Hobby Lobby during their 40% off sale. I was going to finish it in natural metal until one of my hunting/shooting/scotch drinking buddies was over one day and saw the kit. He sez "Wanna see something cool?", pulls out the decal sheet, and points to the Chowhound option where I saw his Dad's name...turns out he was original crew on this aircraft.

Naturally plans changed immediatly and the model will be finished as Chowhound, and the finished product will go to him.

It's pretty much OOB except Master Model brass .50 cal barrels and Quickboost engines. I did not go overboard with the interior as it's almost invisible when closed up. The Quickboost engines are very nice but they don't include valve rods which kind of surprised me seeing how prominent they are, but a little .020 rod will take care of this problem. As for the kit, well it's from 1975 and us older blokes all know what that means. It's coming along slowly and I expect it to eat a fair amount of time

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looking very nice so far. That kit was an irresistible bargain. Looking forward for some more instalments

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

That was an absolute bargain, Mark @markh
    Progress is great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents it was irresistable I was unable to walk past it. I'd originally thought of doing the HKM kit but the extra hundred bucks would be hard to pony up for a cheapie like me.

Got one of the engines fitted with rods and oil lines

Only three more to go; they'll go quicker due to some stuff I learned on the first one

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great choice, great bargain and great progress so far, my friend @markh!
    Spectacular job on that engine!

• Profile Photo

That first engine looks great, Mark @markh

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

That will be a great gift Mark. Some very nice AM details you have chosen too.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents

So what seemed to be mile of tape and a gallon of paint later all surfaces are finally basecoated. Tomorrow, should the inspiration strike me, I'll hit the upper surfaces with a lighter, translucent OD to liven it up a bit. This thing sure ate alot more paint than my beloved tanks.
    I had some .015 electrical solder laying about so I did oil lines in addition to the valve rods. I'm rather pleased with how they turned out even tho it was kind of a slog; the extra detailing required 36 holes drilled in each engine ha that's behind me now

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very cool- congrats on the progress! After seeing the Shep Paine diorama years and years ago, I knew I could only build mine as "Chow Hound"! but not in a crash diorama! Anyway, I have built one of my monogram B-17's as a USN PB-1W, but have not jumped into WW2 livery yet- I will keep watching your build- its already tempting me to start painting the interior of the fuselage halves of the kit I have...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @markh!
    The engines look wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Beautiful work done, Mark @markh
    The pieces of soldering wire do add a lot to those engines.

• Profile Photo
    Mark P Hartig said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you Dan

History of the aircraft is that the original crew flew 26 missions without anyone being killed or seriously injured, no small feat considering what they were doing. The replacement crew was not as fortunate; after a few missions they took a large calber AA round in the bomb bay which destroyed the aircraft and killed the entire crew. Some years back there was a recovery effort by the Air Force, I don't recall the particulars but there's now a monument in France for the crew. Google "Chowhound" if you're interested as the story is out there.

Thanks also Spiros and John I'm glad I bit down and ground the engines out. Probably the best parts of the model.

Got it assembled, decaled, flatcoated, and window masks removed. Very close to the end now. I did not achieve the contrast I was hoping for with the OD coats and my efforts to accentuate the panel lines came to nought. Can't say I'm over happy with it but it'll have to do; it's been on the bench too long as it is.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Looking superb, my friend @markh! Weathering looks good, tooo, doesn't always have to be too accentuated.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 2 months ago:

This looks really nice @markh. The old kit still holds up - with someone who knows what they're doing, doing it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

A very fine looking Fortress, Mark @markh
    To me the OD and weathering looks fine.