1/48 Tamiya F4U-1 ”Birdcage” Corsairs……………

Started by Louis Gardner · 175 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Birdcage, Corsair, F4U, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Love both schemes! Very nice, that yellow cowling sure grows on you. Might have to do a factory fresh bent wing here soon. Can't get enough Corsairs.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice double-whammy indeed!
    I need to agree with Jim above, and note that yellow cowling is a striking feature.
    Great looking cockpit detail too.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Erik, @eb801

Thanks for the compliments !
    Yes I have built one of these Hobby Boss F4U-1 Corsairs. I made mine as a training plane "F-21" that was flown by Naval Aviation cadets and lost in the Great Lakes. It was eventually recovered and is now being restored in Pensacola. It builds up very nicely. The only thing I had trouble with was the exhaust pipes. They are way too skinny... at least to my eyes. They were a bit fiddly to assemble, but once you have completed one, the extra trouble is worth the effort.

Here's a link to the build.

(Revised) 1/48 Hobby Boss F4U-1 “Early” Corsair, Great Lakes recovery Bureau Number 02465 “F-21”
    I do have plans to build more of them in the near future. I recently built another one, as part of our Korean War group build.
  • Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    I have made more progress last night on the Goodyear Corsair. I have another treat in store. I have been tinkering around with a home made display base to use when I take pictures of my completed models and post them in the headlines section. This was made using a 24 inch by 48 inch sheet of thin plywood. Using some model railroad scenario stuff, I have made an improvised base to take pictures on. I made it so big, because I want to pose our mutual build 1/32 scale He-219 "Uhu" on it.

Here are some pictures of it... Keep in mind this is not completed yet, but you get the general idea of what it will look like.

Here is an overhead view.

To give you an idea of how big it is, I placed the NAS Jacksonville 1/48 Tamiya Corsair on it in this next photo.

I did a more close up picture of it here.

I took a few more pictures of previous builds. These are all 1/48 scale planes. Starting with a Tamiya FW-190 F-8

followed by an Airfix Hurricane.

I still have some work to do with painting some lines and simulated tar strips where the sand paper sheet edges are joined together.

Then I want to build a hangar too... More on that later.

I have plans to build another one of the parking / photo bases, but it will be geared more towards a Pacific coral runway strip or desert scene... Enjoy !

• Profile Photo

Erik, @airbum
    John, @johnb

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. I made more progress on the Goodyear F4U last night, and I will post up pictures of the details later tonight if things work out.

• Profile Photo

Jim, @jimh
    I have plans to build up more Corsairs in the near future. After all, one can not have too many ! The photos you posted earlier of the Akron airfield, along with the amazing stuff from Michel Verschuere @michel-verschuere
    Have encouraged me to make this photo base. I have been searching for pictures of the various style aircraft hangers that were in use during WW2. I want to build one big enough to house a large 1/32 scale plane like the Revell Uhu.

So please stay tuned. I have been itching to make a F2G... Race 18 comes to mind with it's orange nose and overall gloss sea blue.

You guys were the inspiration for this.

• Profile Photo

George, @georgeswork
    Thanks for the compliments. I did a lot of digging when I came up with the color choice for the cowling. It's actually a yellow / green zinc chromate color. If you look very close at the original black and white pictures, you can see how it is a different color from the propeller tips which are yellow.

Stay tuned for another update later tonight.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

This base looks gorgeous, Louis @lgardner! And I am sure it will look even better after your finishing touches!
    I still have to build some kind of display/photo base fo my models, the big ones definitely included...just haven't concluded to what I want...
    Your idea looks great!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten
    I have more work to do to it and then it will be done. I found a very cool evening / night time / star poster that I will use behind this base when I take pictures of the Uhu and any other night fighter builds. The Revell 1/32 scale Me-262 twin seat fighter will look good using this background as well.

Here are the latest pictures of the Goodyear Corsair.

• Profile Photo

This is what happened out in the work shop last night... 🙂

Don't tell anyone, but I used a set of Luftwaffe seta belt decals for the harness... I picked a set that looked "close enough". I wanted to drape them over the seat back and connect them to a place near the armor plate, like the real plane would have been done.

However, the decals were too short, as they are designed to fit a Bf-109 or FW-190 which have a smaller cockpit. So if someone knows what they are looking at, they will know the harness and how it is attached to the upright back part of the seat is a "No Go".

It looks better than nothing at all. I have more of these left over, and will be using them in the future on some upcoming Luftwaffe builds.

The instrument panel was touched up...

and the clear canopy parts were installed. After these photos were taken, I used some Testors adhesive for clear parts and filled in the small gaps where the sliding portion of the canopy meets with the home made wind screen.

This one is getting much closer to being done now...
    as always comments are encouraged.