1/48 Tamiya Mitsubishi G4M1 Type 11 Betty WWII PTO

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 88 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This step is to prepare the fuselage halves before installing the interior, flight deck assy. Already pre-painted Mitsubishi interior green.

1st a wash is applied along each of the interior framework/stringers. To enhance each area of the sidewalls of the entire fuselage halves.

This step also includes the side mounted self defense machine guns are painted and attached to their mounts just inside the side blister openings.

Next to attach a set of windows around the nose.

And finally 2 observation windows on the LH side of the fuselage.

Next up will be to assemble the rear gunners compartment complete the final interior bits and install the interior. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This is definitely going to be a great source to use as a reference when I start mine some time next year. Thanks for taking the time to post the details. It really helps a lot.

By the looks of things I would say you will be spraying some paint on the exterior soon ... but masking the glass will be similar to masking a Heinkel He-111. Something I wouldn't look forward too.

Another fine post Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Lot's of glass to cover on this one for sure Louis. Once I get to that point.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Getting back to the Betty, time to finish up the interior and button her up.

Starting with rear gunners compartment. 3 pieces, rear deck, bulkhead and horizontal tail spar.

First the tail spar is inserted into the RH side of the fuselage. Next the rear gunners deck and bulkhead are installed as well. All the parts fit very will into position.

Tamiya has incorporated several innovative features in helping in assembly and alignment of several components in this kit. One of them is how the rear bulkhead has a locating tab that fits into a slot on both fuselage halves at the base of the tail in image #7.

Next is how the wing spars have a locating tab in between them that slips into a notch on each fuselage halves. Which not only allow the whole interior assembly fit into the RH fuselage side, but also serves for a positive fit of the wings when they are attached. Solve two potential problems with a simple solution. Excellent well thought out process by the Tamiya engineers.

Now with the interior flight deck assembly now attached to the RH side fuselage, you can see how the wingspars and notch protrude on the outside. This will allow the wing to align perfectly when attached. The interior fits perfect and is aligned as well. Meanwhile you can see how the horizontal tail locating tab also sticks out where the stabs will attach to which again will allow for perfect alignment.

Now the inside view as the cockpit interior components in place and aligned. Before assembling the LH fuselage half.

Now the LH side half has been attached and has set. No issue with fit, everything clicked into place, just slipped and apply the cement along the seams for a positive fit.
    All kinds of parts so far, all going into place. So far an excellent build so far.

Put aside and next up are the wings. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Now it is time to attach the wings. Which I had assembled as part of the sub assy build up earlier at the start of the project.

Tamiya has several unique engineering well though out for this kit. One of them is this little alignment pin that inserts into a square hole in the wing which allows perfect dihedral and a positive attachment to the fuselage. Along with the wing spars that also allows a very good point the will slide into.

Then a bead of liquid cement along the edge to seal the deal.

Follow the same procedure to attach the assembled LH side wing. And next up will be the stabs and rudder.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Now to work the tail feathers.

Starting with the horizontal stabs. LH and RH stabs are of 4 parts. If you wish to pose the moving surfaces you would have to cut and modify. Too bad not an option on this kit. Nice that Tamiya has engineered the stabs to positively fit where they attach too, and will also ensure the correct angle when attached to the fuselage.

With the stabs now assembled, Looking at the attachment point on the tail. The tail spars on each side will allow to slide each horizontal stab for a perfect fit. Nice firm grip allows to set the alignment on each side. Just a bead of liquid cement all the way around the seam and your done.

Now the rudder/tail assy.

Like the horizontal tail, the rudder is 2 pieces, no separate rudder to pose.

Once assembled the rudder has a nice large attachment tab that will slip into a notch at the base of the tail.

Slip the tail into the notch after apply a bit of Tamiya slow cement. Once again a nice firm fit here as well. A bead of cement around the seam seals the deal.

This portion of the build is completed. Next lets work over the airframe as we prep for paint.
    More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I've have been quietly reading and watching this build Chuck. Came across this article and photos of some recently discovered air frames of two Betty's. There is a photo of the instrument cluster or the cut outs they look similar to whats in the box. There are plans to recover these wrecks .

WWII Japanese Aircraft Wrecks Salvaged at Balalae
  • Profile Photo

Thanks Steve, those haunting images of the Betty's and other Japanese abandoned aircraft are quite mesmerizing. I lingered on each photo taken. I appreciate the link. Quite fascinating indeed.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Steve for that link, quite interesting and really chilling to say the least. Imagine walking among history as I would put it.

Now a once over the fuselage before I start to install all of the clear parts that are quite abundant on the Betty.

Going over the long seams above and below the airframe. No hiding these if not properly cleaned up.

Next to make sure I didn't forget to install the bomb sight before attaching the nose clear glazing. The one detail to note is the fact there is a lot of empty space within the interior of this kit. Seems like their should be more to this. Like the Monogram/Revell bombers, loaded with boxes, shelves, components. Tamiya provides enough, but still seems lacking. Same goes with their Beaufighter and Dinah kits, as some have noted that when building them as well. A lot of glass and quite clear on the Betty where you can see in the forward section of the nose with all that glass.

Once the fuselage is cleaned up. Time to start installing some windows. Starting with bombardier lower bomb sight window under the nose.

Next to assemble the rear gunner seat, brace and rear defensive gun.

The rear gunners tail glazing is in 2 halves, (LH/RH),

Carefully install the rear gunners seat/gun assy into the glazing. Tamiya's approach very simple and slips with a nice fit. Which really limits the issue of cement smearing and ruining any of the clear glass.

Next attach the the glazing to the tail, good fit all the way around.

Next the side blisters, the the machine guns are already in place. So just simply attach each blister into the beveled edge and that simply completes this process. Again they fit very well into position.

Next the top upper gun blister just behind the flight deck. First to attach the machine in the stowed position. Then again carefully attach the blister over the gun. perfect fit.

Next the nose glazing with the machine gun inserted into the hole provided and the assembly attached to the nose section.

Finally attaching the canopy, first the wheel that I believe opens the pilots door, is attached carefully on the inside.

Then the canopy is attached to the airframe. And thats it for now. I have to say, that the process went smoothly, all the glass went on with no fuss. And what is really nice as how clear the glass is from Tamiya.

Thats it for now. Masking time, yuck. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Another excellent and very detailed posting my friend ... masking canopies is not my favorite either. You will be busy with this one !

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Looking very smart

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, it's one of those time consuming process that will take me a few days, do a few at a time, put it aside and work on other projects. As it does get tedious.
    Thanks George, Once the masking is done. It will hopefully get closer to getting her painted up.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Chuck, I have the same model. I also invested in the Eduard PE interior sets (there are 2, though the do overlap a little) but the most important one is the masking set. I HIGHLY recommend getting one since the Betty has "Tons 'O Masking" to do! It seems like a great $10 investment. This'll be my 1st time using them, so my recommendation is based purely on what others have told me.

Masks or not, your Betty is looking great. (On a side note, during the war, my Dad got 1/2 credit for shooting down a Betty bomber.)

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

That’s a lot of glazing. Sound like Jeff’s advice is the way to go. Been a bit since I checked in here, Chuck, and boy have you grabbed some traction with this Betty. Love that little dihedral jig, nice engineering.

I have to admit I’ve been a bit traumatised in the past with glazing on models and it’s not my favourite part of modeling; my next build I’m going to see if I can find a masterclass or something on YouTube.

As usual, I’m really enjoying your work, Chuck. Some learning, great photos, and a terrific subject. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo

Hi Jeff and D-L, refer back to the original preview of the model. I have the EZ mask set for the kit and will be using them. I wasn't in any way going to attempt the Tamiya tape and trim on this baby.