While I was waiting for the primer to dry on my Chilean F-16, I wanted to build something old and fast, and pulled out an ancient Airfix Dogfight Doubles set. In it was a Beaufighter and a 109. Reading between the lines and looking at the parts, I deduced that they must be a TF-X and a G-6. I started on the Beaufighter first (not the subject of this article), then switched over to the 109. Now, both of these kits are so old they are totally covered in heavy rivets and raised panel lines, but I was trying to keep the build simple – not added cockpit details, but just enough effort on the exterior to make them look like what they were supposed to be.
I remembered that I had a Tamiya G-6 in my stash, and pulled that out to help me get as many details right as possible. WOW – I’ve never build a Tamiya kit, and was jazzed by what was in the box, especially compared to the Airfix toy! Anyway – knowing I had a few more 109’s in my stash, I just decided on a lark to build a group of them! So – my new project will be 6 total 109’s – the Airfix G-6 (overpainted in Italian markings), the Tamiya G-6 (kit decals?), a Frog F (desert scheme), an Avis C-1 (Spanish Civil War), an Academy E-3/4 (BoB maybe?), and an Avia S-199 (Israeli markings). I have set a goal (which may not prove realistic…) to have these done by my birthday at the end of Feb. I have one additional Academy E-3/4 in the stash, and if the mojo remains, I may bring it into the project (though will allow any extra 109’s to extend the deadline) – I LOVE some of Erik’s non-German markings 109’s, so I may end up adding to the stash…
Couple of pics below of the subjects – I didn’t have the box for the Airfix kit, so showing the instructions (can you say low parts count!). As may be expected, I WILL be using Erik Gjorup’s 109 library liberally as a reference, and hope to beg, borrow and steal many fine ideas to improve my builds!!!
2 attached images. Click to enlarge.