1/72 109's (no - this is not Erik!)

Started by Greg Kittinger · 65 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Academy, Airfix, avia, Avis, Bf 109, C, E-3/4, F, Frog, s-199, Tamiya G6
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

While I was waiting for the primer to dry on my Chilean F-16, I wanted to build something old and fast, and pulled out an ancient Airfix Dogfight Doubles set. In it was a Beaufighter and a 109. Reading between the lines and looking at the parts, I deduced that they must be a TF-X and a G-6. I started on the Beaufighter first (not the subject of this article), then switched over to the 109. Now, both of these kits are so old they are totally covered in heavy rivets and raised panel lines, but I was trying to keep the build simple - not added cockpit details, but just enough effort on the exterior to make them look like what they were supposed to be.

I remembered that I had a Tamiya G-6 in my stash, and pulled that out to help me get as many details right as possible. WOW - I've never build a Tamiya kit, and was jazzed by what was in the box, especially compared to the Airfix toy! Anyway - knowing I had a few more 109's in my stash, I just decided on a lark to build a group of them! So - my new project will be 6 total 109's - the Airfix G-6 (overpainted in Italian markings), the Tamiya G-6 (kit decals?), a Frog F (desert scheme), an Avis C-1 (Spanish Civil War), an Academy E-3/4 (BoB maybe?), and an Avia S-199 (Israeli markings). I have set a goal (which may not prove realistic...) to have these done by my birthday at the end of Feb. I have one additional Academy E-3/4 in the stash, and if the mojo remains, I may bring it into the project (though will allow any extra 109's to extend the deadline) - I LOVE some of Erik's non-German markings 109's, so I may end up adding to the stash...

Couple of pics below of the subjects - I didn't have the box for the Airfix kit, so showing the instructions (can you say low parts count!). As may be expected, I WILL be using Erik Gjorup's 109 library liberally as a reference, and hope to beg, borrow and steal many fine ideas to improve my builds!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Oh my - you are jumping ahead of me with 6 in one go - and a 199 on top of them all! I just went and bought a fresh supply of popcorn, and so I will be strapped in to follow while you beg, borrow and steal away. Looking forward to it too Greg (@gkittinger)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Another beautiful 109 production line.
    Great to see this coming from your hands, Greg.
    I'm into this thread as well.
    Looking forward to some nice builds.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

109 Werke is expanding, scalewise!
    I love your entries Greg @gkittinger!
    Looking forward to this exciting multibuild!

• Profile Photo

hmm...I've fallen a little deeper down the rabbit hole with Alice. I found some additional 109's to add to the stash from one of the used kit sellers and ordered them, then found another 1/2 dozen from another! I'm still debating the second purchase, but it would kind of round out the version options nicely. I'll reveal the additions when they arrive, and have pics of the Airfix build to-date after the weekend.

• Profile Photo

You cannot stop with the 109s! Trust me!
    Ask our friend Erik @airbum for further details...

• Profile Photo

Curious what those additions will be, Greg.

• Profile Photo

Here are a few in-progress shots of the Airfix G-6 (assuming it is in that ball park!):

The two cowling bulges were just one big hump all the way across the nose. I had to file/sand out the fuselage between them, then scribed the panel line that cuts through the back 1/3 of them. Because this Airfix kit has raised detail, I'll add most of the other missing panel lines (or those I sanded away) via pencil instead of scribing.

I drilled out some clear sprue and painted the "bulbs" for the lights, glued them on and sanded to shape.

Had to make properly fitting gear doors from styrene sheet. Drilled/filed the shell ejector chutes, opened up the radiator exhaust and added the vent door.

Drilled out the exhausts.

drilled out the small nose intakes, the guns and the supercharger intake. I also added copper mesh to the interior of the chin scoop (didn't get a pic of that). I also temporarily glued the spinner to the nose, then had to do some reshaping of the nose behind the spinner to bring it into a closer, rounder matching shape as the back end of the spinner! Gotta love these old kits.

Canopy has been masked and the pilot painted, so next step will be to add both, then prime. I also cut off the cannon barrels and used styrene rod (drilled out) to replace them. Easier than trying to get all the flash off of the kit parts!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

You gotta love these old kits as you say Greg (@gkittinger). What a nice progress with all that scratchbuilding going into this tiny plane. I love it!

• Profile Photo

You did a fantastic job on this one, Greg.
    Those modifications look nice.

• Profile Photo

Love the scratchbuilding, Greg @gkittinger, as well as the whole progress!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Greg, @gkittinger
    This is an amazing little fighter you are building ! I especially like the landing gear doors and work you did with the drill. However, making the small clear lights for the wingtips is also something spectacular at this scale. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment, and hope to see you join us in our upcoming Luftwaffe group build... it should start once several others have completed. Otherwise we will end up with too many different groups going on at the same time, and all will suffer accordingly.

Please keep us posted with this little beauty. 🙂

• Profile Photo

@lgardner, Well - let me know when the Luftwaffe GB starts! I've got a posse of 109's to include, and I'd love to get in a few twins as well!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great work Greg, looks like this old Airfix kit is getting the royal treatment.

• Profile Photo

The kits from Deans have arrived...

All but the Heller kit have recessed details, so should build up nice. I may sand down the Heller kit and re-scribe, depending on what the Airfix kit ends up looking like after paint shop with its raised detail.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.