1/72 109's (no - this is not Erik!)

Started by Greg Kittinger · 65 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Academy, Airfix, avia, Avis, Bf 109, C, E-3/4, F, Frog, s-199, Tamiya G6
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Back to the old days, Greg.
    That is an historic price tag, fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Those small boxes look amazing!, Greg! Indeed, they remind the good old days!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Shipment arrived from Rare Planes Detective. I didn't realize the G-12 was going to be a 2-seater. That will make for an interesting addition to the collection.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

What a great selection Greg (@gkittinger) - looking forward to follow these as well!

• Profile Photo

Lots of 109's to work on, Greg.
    Looking forward to the final build.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Small update. I realized the Airfix kit didn't have the DF aerial, so made one from wire and spare parts.

Then, before I could get cranking on the Tamiya G, the old Frog F just muscled its way to the front of the line! I have the wings together and the fuselage together, have drilled some vents, and sanded clean to rescribe all lines. The gun troughs were a joke - I had to ream them out and drill holes to add guns, and I made a scribing template. I'm almost done with the fuselage scribing and then onto the wings...

I do have the underside of the Airfix painted, but realized I needed to fix the upper seam (and add the aerial) before I continued. I'm going to continue the Airfix G with MM paint and lacquer thinner (first time to AB with MM paint, but I have so much of it left over I wanted to try to use it and see what I get).

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

That old kit is full of holes Greg!

Very nice additions to the detail, and happy to see all the effort you put into these little gems @gkittinger. Pure joy to check in here.

• Profile Photo

So much progress already, Greg.
    Much more realistic to have those vents and exhausts opened up.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I agree with our friends above, Greg @gkittinger!
    I love all those small details!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I've got the paint started on the G - this is going to be an Italian oversprayed and marked scheme. Need to add the blotches, then weather back the original scheme, then add the overspray of German markings.

I broke off one of the gun barrels - don't know what I was thinking adding them before paint and weathering work! I also used MM paint for the first time, thinned with lacquer thinner, for the RLM 75. Seemed to go down ok - comparable to the Tamiya paint the rest of it is painted with.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here's a peek at the Frog F kit in process. I realized after looking at references that the 4 nose vents needed to come off, and since I had drilled them, I had some holes to fill also! Then there was another vent that needed to be added to the starboard side of the nose further back - done. Also done with panel lines and rivets, and I had to scratch build the support braces and nose cover of the tropical filter. That was a bit tricky and took quite awhile. It's not perfect - a tad oversized, but best I could do at this scale.

I think I need to make this an F-3, as so far the -3 is the only version I'm sure of that had the non-round wheel wells. There may be more, but so far from reference photos that's the only version I can confirm. Any confirmation or additional info would be useful...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Good progress, Greg.
    In modelling there seems to be always moments that extra work needs to be done.
    This however makes it more special when all turns out the way you want it to be.
    That scheme for the G will become great.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Good progress indeed, Greg!
    The MM paint seemed to deliver. The G's camo is coming along very well!
    I also like your steps on the Frog kit: those "extra" details transform a simple kit to a jewel.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice progress on the Kittingerwerke! I shall check when I get off work later, but as far as I recall the F-4 had round wells, I am not entirely sure about the F-3. It may be that there were some differencies depending on the manufacturer. The F-1 and F-2 were squared off as most of their predecessors. (this was not to include an extra door, that was only on the late models)

• Profile Photo

@airbum thanks for the tip Erik! I've seen one pic of the underside of an F-3 with squared wells, but that could also have been a misidentified aircraft. I think I'm going to call it an F-2 just to be safe...