1/72 109's (no - this is not Erik!)

Started by Greg Kittinger · 65 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Academy, Airfix, avia, Avis, Bf 109, C, E-3/4, F, Frog, s-199, Tamiya G6
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Here's a quick shot prior to a flat coat to seal in the pastel chalk and AK pencil weathering - then finish up with oils, remove masks, add the gun barrels back and the aerial, and mount to a stand!

I'm painting the pilot for the F now, so I can put on the canopy and start painting. Now I need to select the next 109 to start on along with the Desert Storm Prowler on the bench...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Approaching the finish line, Greg.
    She is becoming a real beauty.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice Greg, looking forward to seeing the final additions and tweaks!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A real beauty it is, my friend!
    Looking forward to see her finished!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Added resin balance weights to the ailerons, put gun barrels back on, took all masking off and had to reposition the aerial mast (when I took off the canopy mask, I realized I had put it in the wrong place!). I decided to just use pencil and pastel chalks to create the lines in the drop tank, rather than trying to etch them. Couple of pics of the bottom before I pop it on the stand - next pics of this one will be headline pics.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great looking, Greg.
    Eagerly waiting for the headline.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looking great indeed, Greg!
    Pencilling the lines is a very good idea that I might implement to my builds!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Gonna be great with a swarm of 109's 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great looking 109, Greg (@gkittinger). Your 109s should fit nicely between all of your F-4s.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

I cracked open the Tamiya G-6 while getting the Frog F paint-ready (plan to paint them both at the same time). This is the first Tamiya kit I've built - MAN, going to have to build some more! More parts for the cockpit then the entire Frog kit I think!

It IS obvious that Tamiya never planned for this kit to be built wheels-up. I had to do significant shaving of the gear doors to get them to fit, and looking at the gap and the upper end of the gear doors, it appears there is a small upper section that slides over the top of the main section when lowered, as there is a step to the part, and too-large of a gap when the part is laid up in the well. I used a piece of the leg strut to show in the gap, and added an extension to that upper door section to line up with what I assume is where the door ended (I could only find one decent reference photo of the underside of a 109 with gear retracted.

My resin pilot didn't want to fit into the cockpit, so I had to cut the legs off, do some shaping to the body, and now I'm painting the pilot and legs, will add the body and then fit the legs in, before I can insert the whole shebang up into the fuselage and close up with the wings.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years ago:

Nice surgery Greg. The covers are more or less the same for all these later 109's, and here you have a 1/48 Eduard for comparison

looking forward to the pilot to behave.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Great work, Greg.
    Fitting after the surgery is fantastic.
    The cockpit is also nicely done, nice shading.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Great job, my friend @gkittinger! The Tamiya kit rocks!
    I bet your pilot will behave and fit, now that you cut his legs...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years ago:

@airbum thanks for the extra reference image. I think I may have left a larger gap than I should have, but I'm learning the 109!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Looks great, Greg (@gkittinger). Tamiya kit looks really nice. I have never had a figure fit in a plane, even the kits that include pilots never seem to fit quite right. Maybe we should build in 1/12 scale and get some of those poseable figures?