1/72 Hasegawa Lancaster

Started by John Healy · 27 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 3 months ago:

The RAF group build gave me the mojo to renew my 1/72 bomber fleet. Hasegawa Lancaster underway now. Nice kit, but not as nice as the new Airfix bomber kits.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This is the very first Hase Lance I have seen anyone has worked on. Does look typical Hase with just enough for the interior in this scale for their 72nd series. Then I haven't seen whats in the Airfix box either, but it seems like they may have much more to offer if it is like their recent releases such as their B-17 and Whitley. Yet doesn't cost as much either . Will watch this with great interest.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Great start on that Lanc, John! I didn't realise that the Lancs had that many viewing ports down each side. Outstanding aircraft and build.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Chuck, truth be told, I bought this one instead of the Airfix kit because it was cheaper . I got it on sale for $25. These things were obscenely priced around $60 here in the US when they came out back in 2005. The new Airfix Lancs have a lot more detail throughout. I know because I have a B.II in the stash. The fit on this model is great except for the nacelles. The radiator mouths did not fit well and the joins to the wings were not stellar either. You can see the Tamiya putty at the joins. The lack of cockpit detail I can deal with since it’s black and it’s 1/72.

Jeff, the small oval windows were there because the Manchester/Lancaster had a secondary requirement to be able to serve as a transport. Many of these were painted over in service. You need to ch4ck photos of the plane you’re modeling. They were finally deleted late in the production run. These windows are one area where this kit beats the new Airfix model. The Hasegawa windows are the right size. Airfix’ are too large.

I haven’t done much in the last week due to 1:1 scale life, but hope for some progress in the coming days. Thanks for looking!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I can remember building up the old Revell 1/72 kit as a kid. Mine was the Dam Buster version. Even a 1/72 scale Lanc is a big bird !

Looking good John.

Please keep us posted... Thanks

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Louis. I built the original 1958 Airfix Lancaster when I was a kid, and then I did the Matchbox Lanc in the mid 1980s. The Matchbox kit was surprisingly nice.

• Profile Photo

More progress. I masked the model today with the help of an Eduard masking set. I’ve come to really like these when building 1/72 scale bombers. It’s pretty much ready for paint. The wing fit is so good that I can paint the wings and fuselage separately to make masking easier. Unfortunately, I won’t be airbrushing for a couple of days due to the polar vortex gripping the northern US. I’m not going to be exhausting warm air out of my basement workshop with temps like this! It’s supposed to be -27F tonight. Well, anyways, this one should wrap up fast once I start spraying.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good John, I'll be watching your progress. And as my dad was fond of saying when asked how cold it was outside, he retorted "colder than a well diggers a** in the Klondike."

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 2 months ago:

The cold temps we're having here in the Midwest USA are BRUTAL. Since I was retired, I'm pretty much inside and sitting in my chair 23.5/7. I take my dog outside. Before I retired, I was an Army Tanker and when I got out of the Army, I was a neighborhood walking Mailman. I worked outside pretty much all my adult life. I USED to be able to handle various weather extremes, but those days are long gone! As I write this, it's -4F at 04:00 early morning. Brrr!
    That has nothing to do with your great looking Lancaster, though. Dad & I did the original Airfix Lanc back around 1964 and this one beats it, hands down! Louis - you're right; it IS a big machine ... and a glorious one! How will you paint it? Ours was the common all black undersides, with camo on the upper surfaces.

Bravo, John !

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Great work John, your Lancaster is coming along wonderfully!
    That Polar Vortex looks epic on TV - we have a hard frost here in London, a beautiful clear sub zero start to the day, but I'll bet that it is nothing compared to what people in North America are having to deal with!
    Take care

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 2 months ago:

That is great to hear, Jeff@mikegolf, one of the first kits I remember building with Dad in the 1960's was the old Revell Dambusters Lanc with'Secret Bomb' .

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Jeff, it’s going to be finished as EE139 “The Phantom of the Ruhr” in standard camo. “The Phantom” was a Lancaster “centurion” , having survived 121 missions. I have the Kitsworld decal sheet for this plane when it was assigned to 550 Squadron, coded BQ-B. The noseart printing on this sheet is beautiful, but the code letters are too bright. I’m waiting for some dull red code letters to arrive and then will decide if I finish it in the aforementioned codes or as HW-R. This was the code the plane wore when originally assigned to 100 Squadron.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 2 months ago:

David @davem - It was an iconic kit back then ... one of the ones you just HAD to have for a proper "collection."

John @j-healy - That will look great! I had never hear the term "Centurian" applied to anything non-Roman Legion (LoL) but that's interesting to know. Thanks!It It just shows that if you keep your eyes & ears open you CAN learn something new every day!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I finally got some paint on this one. The brutal cold in Chicago over the past month discouraged airbrush use. I just didn’t feel like exhausting warm air out of my basement workshop with outside temperatures well below 0 degrees F. Back to the Lanc!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good John, coming along nicely !