1/72 Revell Junkers Ju 88C-6c

Started by Michael Turner · 37 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Ju 88C-6c, junkers
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good, Michael.
    Not my favorite part of modelling but it surely improves the look of the model.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

You are bringing an old'n'simple kit to modern life, Michael @michaelt!
    Great progress so far!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Fuselage looks good, Michael (@michaelt). Maybe you should buy another tube of filler before you start the wings, just in case.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I glued the nacelles to the wing and needed to use temporary spreader bars to get the alignment right.
    The radar dipoles were attached to the fuselage and putty added.
    I also glued the rear of the bola under the cockpit but need to fair this in a bit.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress on the OOB 88

• Profile Photo

Coming along nicely, still some grinding to do.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress Michael @michaelt!
    Radar antennas fitting is always challenging at such kits, but you are doing a great job so far.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, Michael (@michaelt). Masking the canopy is looming in the near distance, so get your tape warmed up!

• Profile Photo

No canopy masking required (@gblair), just a steady hand.
    I tidied up the engine nacelles and glued the wings to the fuselage (the canopy isn't attached yet).
    Unfortunately, the tailplanes aren't level, even though they looked to be when I attached them.
    It may be that the starboard wing is high and the starboard tail is low...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Oh, the lovely art of canopy handpainting!
    I do the same, Michael @michaelt, only using masks when it is unavoidable (which means very rarely...).
    Pity about your misalingment.

• Profile Photo

A pox on you guys with steady hands (@michaelt) (@fiveten). If it wasn't for tape, I wouldn't be able to do canopies at all. I am always amazed that we can check the placement of parts a hundred times, and find misalignment only after the glue has dried. I would bet that no one will notice the misalignment after you are done except you.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I have to say I envy the steady hand. I do hand paint from time to time, but only if I am able to scrabe off the excess with a stick later on.

Really looking forward to see this "back to basics" crossing the finish line. Very refreshing.

• Profile Photo

Hand painted on a 1/72 canopy, that's a real steady hand. Looking great.
    With 1/48 I might give it a try, but at 1/72, undoable for me.
    As George (@gblair) said, for some reason dry fitting is always ok but when glue is applied for some reason it suddenly does not.

• Profile Photo

Erik (@airbum), I used a toothpick to remove any mistakes before they dried.

• Profile Photo

I have even heard of using a hobby knife to remove mistakes, cutting exactly at the frame border, then remove the "excess" with a toothpick or so...

Seems interesting, as the blade will create a sharp result...

Never tried it, though, as the proximity of the blade to the clear part makes me nervous...@michaelt, @airbum, @johnb and @gblair