1:24 Scratch built South African Air Force Dassault Mirage F1 AZ No. 217

Started by Adrian Starling · 63 · 3 years ago · 1/24, Mirage F1 AZ, scratch built
  • Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This build was started 3 years ago as an experiment for me as I had built a number of civil aircraft in 1:24 scale and decided the time had come to stretch my scratch building experience by building a military fighter and what a journey it has been!

I chose the magnificent Mirage F1 AZ ground attack fighter, number 217 in the final South African Airforce three tone scheme. This aircraft was the second Mirage F1 AZ of 32 ordered to fly in the SAAF and was flown by CPT Andre van der Heever in 1976. It’s final flight was at the official retirement of the F1 AZ on the 25th November 1997 at AFB Hoedspruit, in the very capable hands of the “Billy Boy” LT COL Jan Minnie (Officer Commanding 1 Squadron). The aircraft was flown in a solo display. Between the two respective dates, this machine was based at AFB Hoedspruit and a respected member of 1 Squadron (Prima) and saw many sorties in theatres north of the South African border.

The build is current but far from being completed so I will retrospectively part post all elements until I complete this challenging beast!

A few dimensions of the model:
    Length – 640mm
    Wingspan – 350mm
    Height – 188mm

20 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Don’t know what to say, Adrian.
    This is such an impressive building process.
    64cm, that’s pretty big.
    A well chosen scheme I would say, those three tones are looking great on the F1.
    Looking forward to the end result.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Lost for words!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John, a long and challenging way ahead of me! Yes, it is big and a lot of parts to make as in 1/24 many parts are visible! Appreciate your kind comments, thank you.

• Profile Photo

Erik, thank you! A long way to go yet!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, what an amazing project, my friend @adrianstarling!
    Who could ever believe to see a fantastic Mirage F1 taking shape?
    HAF flew the F1s for quite a while, as interceptors, a much beloved plane!
    Thanks for sharing this, already thrilled by your excellent progress!

• Profile Photo
    David D. said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very unique. Love the use of different materials for this model. Can't wait to see more.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David, yes you are right! Trying to keep the weight down and get the detail. I will keep the posts coming!

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Watching these two builds of yours is very educational. Great work and even greater patience. True craftsmanship.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Matt, you are right and the builds are ambitious but will get there! Your kind words are appreciated!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

A true master at work!

• Profile Photo

Morne, you are very generous and always so motivational. Thank you.
    I hope the engine went well today!

• Profile Photo

Morne, I mistakenly posted a few pics on the F1 on the “Headlines” post on the cockpit...

• Profile Photo

A RETROSPECTIVE UPDATE - “Pit and Jock”
    To finish off the fuselage before I move onto the intakes, undercarriage and wing connection. The images tell the story! I hope you enjoy.

24 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

WOW, Adrian.
    This is really stunning.