1/32 Tamiya Spitfire

Started by Walt · 11 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I don't usually build 1/32nd scale or much British either. When this kit came out I heard and read all the wonderful reviews and they showed up at the shows and looked awesome. I knew if there was a 1/32nd scale kit that I would build this would be the one. Forward a few months and a gift arrives from a friend, a Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc and a beautiful decal sheet by Victory Productions.

I couldn't wait to get started on it and have to say it has been a blast to build. This kit could be built 100% out of the box and look great, still you can enhance it with simple modeling and adding some wire details. I did add some little details, but tried not to go overboard. Generally I am happy with the results. I am at the painting stage, and once done with my Sturmtiger I will get it painted.

I thought I would post a few of my in progress shots here.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice work, Walt...a lot nicer than the detail I put into mine. I'd intended to display my model in flight, so I didn't "go overboard", as you put it, with detail that would be hidden when completed. So I had a pilot, a closed canopy and, of course, cowl pieces in place. Which brings up another possible "sticking point". Be sure to test-fit those cowl pieces carefully (and then test 'em again), before applying any sort of adhesive. They have to be aligned precisely or you'll have a real challenge on your hands. I'm not the only one who had trouble with 'em, trust me. Can't wait to see and hear how it all turns out. Later.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Looks very nice, Walt. i have the Mk VIII, still deciding which paint scheme to do. Something from the South Pacific or the Far East, i think...

d-bot

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Hey David, thanks for the kind words, if you get the Victory Productions sheet, it has Fargo Express on it. A nice looking Mk VIII in the Sand and Middlestone. It is an American spit. It looks great, I wanted to build it but I was given the Mk IX kit so I am building Lady Ellen III from that sheet. Another American spit. If you are interested let me know, I may be willing to part with that portion of my sheet.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Well I finally have started the painting process. Since this bird is going to be in American markings the British marking have to be overpainted. I started with the bottom, you can see the base coat, the markings overpainted in slight variation of the color and then some fading and streaking. It may look a little stark, but I have found it will tone down during the weathering process.

Looking at these pictures, it looks like it is time to change my paper on my bench, I will after I get the base colors on the upper surfaces.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 3 months ago:

The base coats are basically done. I usually like to freehand my camo schemes, but the British were very particular. I have seen pictures from the factory where they would lay rubber mat masks over the wings and paint them. The schemes were very consistent so I knew I needed to be. I enlarged the color profile from the directions in the kit and used them as the mask. It worked fairly well, except for a few minor issues. I forgot to put the lid on my airbrush and spilled paint on the wing, then when pulling the masks off, the tape lifted a little paint off of the silver basecoat. A little corrective painting and masking for the roundels and it is just about ready for decals and weathering.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Looks very good so far, Walt!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Kilner said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Got to say that's beautiful work on the engine bay, matey,Even down to the grime in the spinner splines. liking it.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Paul, I had a lot of fun building and painting the engine. I added some detail but not too much. The kit is pretty remarkable straight from the box. Hope to have markings on it soon.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cumming said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice detail and I recently completed the MK IXC version. Only problem I had was with the Tamiya Roundel Decals not settling on the underwing and cracking and becoming useless. I bought a set of Barracuda decals and were much better but I would recommend painting the roundels or cutting off the raised detail carefully and then replacing over the decal and touch up with paint. Look forward to seeing the completed model.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply, I started putting the decals on and they shriveled up and wrinkled like crazy so I pulled them off. I purchased a mask set for the national markings and it pulled off my paint from my silver undercoating. At this point I am taking a breather from it and contemplating my next move with it. I would hate to start all over on the paint, but I may just do that.