1:48 Hasegawa/Eduard Hellcat – Mojo Recovery Project

Started by Don Mk1a · 80 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Don Mk1a said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Hello fellow imodelers,
    It's been a long time since I posted a work in progress thread. Actually, it's been a long time since I built a model; I started a lot but couldn't get my stuff together enough to finish anything to a standard that satisfied me. A while ago I packed up all my tools and equipment, threw out most of my paint (it was old and nasty) and junked all the stash items which had had their bags opened. The remainder of the collection was within a whisker of appearing in my local charity shop!

But then...

I couldn't quite finish the clear out either. Can I ever finish anything again? I finished my lunch so there's some grounds for hope. This project is my last attempt to get back into our wonderfully absorbing hobby; if I fail, it's all over and I'll trade the stash for jigsaws.

I'll be spending the summer in Hellcat land. I had four in the wardrobe. A Hasegawa French version with unusable transfers, an Eduard Weekend version (USN) and a Dual Combo Profipack of Hellcat I and II versions of the Fleet Air Arm. The FAA schemes are fab, and I'm a Brit so I'm going to build all four kits as Royal Navy aircraft starting with the one shown in the picture below.

• Profile Photo

It's not a pretty aircraft, but it is a big one.

--- pic1 not found ---

The Hase plastic is very shiny and after some years circulating on the second-hand market, quite scratched. I'll sand it down with fine paper to provide a good paint key and get rid of the scratching.

--- pic2 not found ---

and the glue runs, darnit!

--- pic3 not found ---

and the fingerprints!

You can tell already that I'm a bit out of practice. My plan is to build this one straight 'out of the box' just to get something done reasonably fast. Then I'll make the next three progressively more interesting for myself and I hope for you too.

The Hase canopy can't be posed open so there's little point in making a big fuss in the cockpit. I was going to add seatbelts but on second thoughts I'll put a pilot in there and hide all the mistakes I will make in the office that way. I made this decision after thinning down the moulded seat, of course.

• Profile Photo

I opened holes for the rockets. The aircraft was used in Operation Balsam which was flown from the Carrier HMS Khedive over Malaysia in June of 1945. The Eduard instructions say this was a reconnaissance op but there was a lot of ground attack work involved too.

• Profile Photo

The cockpit interior is pretty good but as it will be invisible, I hope not to get bogged down in the details.

• Profile Photo

This shows the difference between Hasegawa's highly polished plastic and my dulling down with 1000 grade.

I've also re-profiled the paddle blade prop to the earlier type. The F6F-3 (Late) version is the Hellcat I (I think) while l'Aéronavale flew the F6F-5. I'm reading the history at the same time as building which is not the best way to avoid mistakes. Yell out if you see me making a major mess of things.

I read that the Hellcat was pretty much ‘right’, right from the start. There were very few modifications made during its service life. However, these don’t seem to come in a sensible chronological order. Windows appear and disappear behind the cockpit, a few changes come and go on the cowling, there are some minor armament changes and that’s about it.

• Profile Photo

The only other external mod i have to make is to delete two cooling flaps from the underneath of the cowling. A simple matter of filling the lines (which I had just deepened!) with putty. Except that it shrank and running a fingernail over the lines revealed a depression. So I'll be doing it over again, possibly with superglue next time.

Edit. I just applied another layer of acrylic putty. Fingers crossed!

And that's the story so far.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Glad you're back. I also had a period where I got burned out on models. I adopted a "keep it simple" plan for my models. I build a lot of old Monogram, Revell, Tamiya, and Hasegawa, usually using just the kit and going for a good paint job and finish. I will usually buy a set of masks for the kit, but that is about it. I build for fun and modeling has become relaxing again.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Welcome back, Don. I think we all get burned out at some point. It was very difficult for me to finish anything when my children were young 20 years ago. I also went through an AMS patch when I put way to much detail into kits and got paralyzed by research.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. AMS or Perfectionism certainly played a part in my plastic paralysis. And I notice that my plan, to get ever-more complex as I work through these four kits, is heading me right back into that situation! D’oh! Maybe I’ll build them all OOB. Or just enhance one aspect of each for a bit of variety.

Curiously my problems coincided with retirement. Having much more time available didn’t increase my output as I’d expected and I got completely bogged down in trying to be perfect. It’s almost as though I turned a fun hobby into a miserable job of work to replace the one I’d just left. How crazy is that!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Don keep repeating to yourself, it's just a hobby, it's meant to be relaxing and fun. Striving for perfection will drive you nuts. Output for me isn't important, and I build models using the concept that I'm reproducing scale miniatures of historical subjects that will sit in my personal museum. I remember the first AM 1/48 scale A-36 I completed. it really was terrible, and so bad that I laughed about the end result. But I learned a lot from that attempt, bought another one, and it's posted here on iModeler. Just keep plugging along and you'll build skills, learn new techniques and have some fun along the way.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom.

I play that game in my head too. My models are items in my very own museum. I remember as a child imagining that they were my own personal Air Force but that meant that they didn’t last long before they were shot down, blown up, set alight, trodden on by Mum etc.

I certainly wasn’t bothered by AMS in those days. Perhaps I’ll forgo the airbrush for this one and brush paint with Humble enamels. At least on the inside.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Welcome back - really interesting plane you have chosen! And so the journey begins - sign me up on this thread! Thank you for sharing.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Erik.

Is there a way to sign up to a thread so that I get notifications of new postings? I can't find out how.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

@plasteekgeek - you go to "My account", then "email notifications" and tick "Yes" on the relevant boxes, then you get an e-mail notification on new postings.

On another note, you may also want to check "tutorials" at the botom of the pages to see how you include pictures (square brackets and pic1 etc - works fantastic once you get the hang of it) Actually I find it gets real fun to setup the topic that way - much to the regret of my fellow iModelers with the load of 109's I've got going right now.

Anyway - have fun with your return to the hobby, and wether you choose to spend time on the PC and editing or just plain post with pictures as now be sure that I shall follow with interest - you had some great dioramas some time back! (before I joined in)

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik, I think I have it now. I’ve also found the tutorials (with a little help) and will be able to format my posts in a more readable way in future.

Imodeler has changed and improved in a technical sense since I was last here, it’s taking me a little while to catch up. It’s actually a very user friendly site though. That’s good because I don’t want to spend more time editing than modelling!