1/48 Revell Pro Modeller Curtiss SB2C-4 Helldiver

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Curtiss, Helldiver, Pro Modeller, Revell, SB2C-4
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Here is another plane that is on my work bench. I started this one a few months ago, then had to put it on hold when we lost power due to Hurricane Mathew. (I was also waiting on the arrival of the Montex "Super Mask" to arrive during this same time frame). Somehow other things got in the way and I never really got back into finishing the kit. Then I started my 3 Corsair builds...

Hopefully this will soon change as I don't have too much more to do and this one will be finished. After quite a bit of online research I decided that Model Master "Italian Olive Green" was pretty close to Curtiss interior green.

Here are a few pictures...

• Profile Photo

I drilled out the perforated holes in the dive flaps.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 5 months ago:

That looks REALLY nice, Louis...those canopy masks are a life-saver, aren't they? Especially on canopies with multiple frames like that one (I use 'em whenever possible - I detest masking canopies by hand - always manage to mess it up somewhere along the line. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, isn't that a nice kit! And compared to the original old Monogram, quantum leap! On that one, I had to drill out the holes in the dive brakes. Killed a lot of drill bits.
    That photoetch sure helps!
    Good work on her, she'll be a beauty when shes done.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 5 months ago:

That looks really nice, Louis. The Revell/ Monogram Helldiver is a fine kit and you make a real head turner out of it.
    Bernard is right, while i have build the old and the newer mold its like day and night.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Craig ! This will be my first time using the masks. I'm afraid I may get hooked...

I didn't try to drill out the smallest of the holes in the flaps. (my eyes aren't that good anymore)...

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Today I was working on the seams of my Hobby Boss Corsair , it looks pretty good now. When I start spraying the Corsairs, I'll toss the Helldiver in the mix... and I'll post up some photos.

• Profile Photo

One of the planes depicted with the Montex masking set was #207 from VB-83. I've been doing some online research and found a few photos of the actual plane.

After studying these pictures it appears as if the area on the upper side of the elevator / stabilizer assembly is either a faded Dark Sea Blue , -OR- Intermediate blue. (but it could just be the angle the photo was taken and the effects of lighting).

The masking set shows the latter color as correct. I also picked up on the white paint overspray on the rudder / fin geodetic markings. It looks as if a small amount of white paint overspray extended past the marking during the spraying process along the tape line. I'll try to replicate this on my build.

Looks like I will be re-spraying the rudder and fin in intermediate blue...and possibly the stabilizer / elevator assembly.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 5 months ago:

And you can see where they masked the G marking on the tail! I think the lighter color on the topside of the vertical stab is light instead of paint.
    The folks who painted the marking on weren't looking for perfection, they just wanted to get the job done. Close enough is good enough.

• Profile Photo

After studying the second photo of the actual plane I agree that the upper surfaces of the elevator and stabilizer are dark blue. If you look closely at the picture you can see the overspray of the darker color.

Today I sprayed the Model Master "Navy Blue Gray" on the Corsairs and the SB2C. Next I'll be masking off the lower bomb window on the Corsairs and applying the G symbol mask of the fin and wings of the SB2C.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I finished the masking using the Montex masks and blue light tack painters tape. This was the first time I tried pre cut masks. I must admit that I'm happy with the results.

While I was spraying the white color I went ahead and touched up the soft edges between the white and blue gray. I'm going to let the paint dry and then I'll go back and attempt to reproduce the overspray on the fin and rudder that is visible in the two photos of the original plane.

Calling it a night with this one.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

That looks really good, Loius. This three tone U.S Navy scheme is one of my favorite WWII schemes.
    These masks perform much better on smooth surfaces.
    Well done so far !

• Profile Photo

Tonight I masked off the US Star insignia, aircraft numbers and replicated the overspray paint found on the fin and rudder. Here are a few pictures showing the progress.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd !

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Full-on build, Louis. I can see you've got the killer focus on this one. Nice work all round,

• Profile Photo

Wow, that looks great, Louis !