1/48 Tamiya Me-262 (S) early production version ”Red 1”

Started by Louis Gardner · 54 · 5 years ago · 1/48, Me-262, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 10 months ago:

clean, sleek build!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you Greg !

Tonight I finished her up... she's all done now. (except for adding the antennae lead in cable from the fin)...

It may be a little "Too shiny" for some, and I didn't weather it at all. The real plane only lasted a few months, so I didn't bother with that.

I am very pleased how this one turned out... and It's the first pre production 262 "S" plane I have ever seen modeled. I have never seen another overall RLM 76 plane built, (but then again I didn't go searching too awful much for one).

I installed all of the little bits, like the pitot tube, under wing and fuselage antennae's, clear wingtip lights and rudder navigation light. I was also able to pull off the "Werk Number" by using model rail road dry transfers.

This is a picture from one of the reference books I used during the build. All of the time this was right under my nose... "Red 1", VI + AF, Werk Number 130006...

Here you can see the plane from a few different angles.

The lighting isn't the best, and it will be better once I take the actual reveal photos when I post it up in the head lines section.

The canopy was saved. It actually looks 100 percent better than the original attempt. I painted the canopy frame work again, after I damaged it a little removing the main canopy when I fixed the glue problems.

Now the Monogram He-111 is back on the work bench. I plan on finishing it up next...
    Hopefully this will not take too much longer.

So I'm calling this build journal completed... Please stay tuned for the reveal in the head lines section. I hope you have enjoyed following along as much as I did building this one.

Even with the canopy problem, this has to be one of the most relaxing builds I have had in a while... and I needed it. It helped the "mojo" tremendously.

I can't even begin to explain how well this kit went together. The fit was spot on and the engineering was superb...

Thanks again for following,

and as usual,
    "Comments are encouraged".

Good night !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Without taking this the wrong way, Louis, I wish you'd encountered more problems. Maybe next time you could just engineer some? Make the builds a bit longer, string us along a little, spill some more glue? Which is all to say that I was enjoying this and now you've gone and finished it.

Great save with the canopy. Look forward to the headline show.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Very rare and unusual version of the 262. You know honestly until you first posted the WIP, I have never seen this early version. Though an earlier prototype was actually a tail wheel test bird and not with a nose gear configuration as it would become. As David Leigh mentioned i believe this is your shortest WIP. These Tam kits do build quickly. Well done

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Absolutely stunning again, Louis! I don't imagine it has been built too often before! You've made a great job of it - the grey looks spot on! Even your quickest build goes 50 posts! Cracking stuff!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Well my friends I couldn't leave it alone. After looking at it for a little while, I decided that the RLM 76 was just too shiny.

So off with the clear navigation lighting and on with the masking tape.

Then I mixed up a home brew of Tamiya flattening agent, some Tamiya acrylic thinner and some Future. I have experienced problems before with small white chunks appearing in the clear after it had dried on a previous project.

This time I made sure that it was mixed very well and thinned down accordingly.

Next step was to spray the mixture on the plane.

I had decided to try and change the style of the lettering font on the number "6" in the Werk Number to make it closer resemble the original.

This was rather nerve racking but I think it is closer now. I had intended on changing the style of the "3" as well, but decided against it.

After a few very light coats it started to get a semi flat almost eggshell finish that I was after.

It also toned down the radio call letters and national Insignia and now they look better too.

Here's how she looks after the final painting touches. After I took this picture I reinstalled the clear lights.

Now I can call it quits.

David L-S,
    I didn't get to drag it out much longer. But I'm glad that I have spent a little more time on this one. I think it was time well spent.

I am fairly certain that I am calling it complete now.

Once again I thank you all for the encouragement along the way.

As usual
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I'm glad you dulled and flattened her out, Louis. I thought the sheen was something you were going for; I wasn't sure about it but wouldn't mention it as it's what I thought you were after. Turns a great build into a fantastic one.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Louis, this is a real beauty. Wow. Amazing work!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Shiny was nice but the semi-gloss looks better Louis. Nicely done.