1/72 Matchbox P-47D (C?)

Started by David Mills · 22 · 5 years ago · Eugene O'Neill, Li'l Abner, P-47
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 7 years, 7 months ago:

I spotted this kit on ebay, I had build it as a kid and never been that satisfied with the way it turned out. I thought it might be fun to build it oob and see how it would turn out this time round. The decals are not up to much so thought I would use some aftermarket decals I have for Capt.Eugene O'Neills Li'l Abner - lets see how we get on

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Looks like a fun build. I did the old jo hahn P-47 back in my youth.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 7 years, 7 months ago:

Thought I would do the initial construction unpainted so we can see it how matchbox intended ! - and then paint after posting that

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Thought I would skip detailed construction, of such a simple kit, to provide a look of the completed model as Matchbox would have intended. Undercarriage etc is fixed with PVA to allow for removal and paint. Next stop neutral grey and olive drab

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Interesting.

• Profile Photo

So here we go - undercoat on and a picture of Li'l Abner which is the scheme I am going for!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The next stage is adding camo which is the standard, neutral grey/olive drab scheme. I used Tamiya paints and tried to vary the intensity of the colours particularly the olive drab to try and give a little depth. Wear was produced by sanding away at the paint in places and then going through the grades to knock back the obvious scratches. The kit has had a black wash which has darkened the colours some nest stop decaling and further weathering - Cheers Dave

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregg McKim Shaw said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
    Never had a problem building matchbox kits.
    They always looked good even with the deep panel lines but all these old kits had little or no cockpit detail so left a lot of room for a personal touch.
    I think I transplanted a Heller cockpit into mine.
    Still got a few of the larger scale Matchbox kits in my stash.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom I always enjoyed them - they were a step up form the Airfix kits of the time and always remind me of growing up in the 70's. Some more photos shortly. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 6 months ago:

looking good so far!

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Nice to see an oldie like this. Time to time I als jump on rhe nostalgia wagon and build a Matchbox kit mostly just for fun or - like You - I remember what I done with such a kit when I was a kid 🙂 Looks good so far!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Where does the time go? It seems to have been a year full of crises and interruptions and of projects started and very few actually finished.
    Never mind, I have started to actually to get round to dealing with a few of these and here is the P-47 waiting for a matt coat and a few last minor repairs!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

This turned out quite nicely given the "small-ish" scale (at least to me) - I've seen 48th scale builds that didn't look as good - some of mine leap to mind. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you Craig

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Glad to see you taking care of business, David.