9/11 Tribute builds: 1/48 Revell F-15E, and 1/48 Revell F-16 ”Never Forget”

Started by Louis Gardner · 17 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Today is the 19th Anniversary of the 9/11 attack. It's hard to believe that 19 years have since gone by.

I have had these Bob's 9/11 decals for a long time now. As a retired Firefighter /EMT and LEO, I have always wanted to build some sort of tribute to honor the persons who lost their lives on this tragic day. The world was forever changed that morning.

There is no better time than now to start these two tribute builds.

Here's the F-15E kit I will be using.

I have been working on another one of these models as part of the Desert Storm group build. It is going together very well. I am looking forward to building up this one too.

Here are the two decal sheets I will be using. This one is for the F-15E.

and a detail photo showing the FDNY 9/11 tribute. There's another F-15E that was painted up to honor the NYPD. If I ever get another one of these models, I'll be sure to build it too. This second plane, marked to honor the NYPD, is also included in the decal set.

I'll be using one of these Revell F-16 models.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the different variants of the Falcon. My area of expertise is with the older WW1 through most of the Korean War aircraft. I'm not sure if these Monogram kit will make a proper version of the plane shown in the decal set.

Speaking of decals, here's what I will be using for the F-16.

and a closeup showing the US Flag, the Firefighter and the Soldier.

So please follow along with me as I start yet another pair of planes...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I'm strapped in.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Erik, @airbum
    You know what ? I have made a huge error in my math, (which was never one of my strengths anyhow) . The 20th Anniversary is next year. This year is the 19 year mark and not the 20th anniversary as I originally posted.

Today is 19 years after the event happened. Ooops !

I went back and adjusted the title and original posting accordingly.

If anyone has any information on the type of F-16 that was marked with the 9/11 nose art, please don't hesitate to post it. Thanks in advance.

As usual,
    comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Kick the tires and light the fires!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Louis. Great subjects. The Monogram F-16 kits that you have are both “A” models. Your decals are for a late block 52 “C” model(CJ). The ADF kit includes parts for the 200 block 15 “A” models that were upgraded as interceptors for the ANG in the mid 80’s. The good News is that they are all powered by PW engines. The bad news is that all “C” models vertical stabilizers have a longer and fatter base then the “A” model.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

What a great way to honor those people.
    Good luck on your build, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, 19 years still could be last year as that moment is still vivid in memory. I had just resigned my commission in 1999, but had asked the Navy to see if I can return, but I was overweight and way out of shape and was not physically fit, how fast we get ourselves unhealthy when not staying in shape, not eating right.

You have really cranked up the factory with the jets, along side the Corsair, He-111, B-24 and some of the armor stuff. And dealing with life as well. We need that time to do some modeling to keep the would out sometimes. Our group have the passion to build away with several projects going at a time. And really a good way to stay keeps us from going stir crazy. So keep building new projects,

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Louis @lgardner!
    Those are great choices, an honor for those who gave their life.
    I'll be watching eagerly!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Good choices, Louis (@lgardner). Looking forward to the builds. Revell and Monogram are still my favorite builds, and you can't beat Two Bobs Decals.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I have been pre occupied with several builds that had to meet a deadline. Now this has been done, and I have made a purchase of the "proper" Block F-16CJ so I can use the 9/11 tribute decals. Here's a few pictures of the plane I just ordered from a seller on EBay.

I want to thank John, @j-healy
    for steering me in the right direction on which kit to get so I can use these decals. Once this kit arrives, I'll get started on it, and post more regular updates.

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement.
    Erik, @airbum
    Robert, @roofrat
    John, @j-healy
    John, @JohnB
    Chuck, @uscusn
    Spiros, @fiveten
    George, @gblair

So please stay tuned for things to start happening here now !

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hey! That's a cool idea, man! I cant wait to see the process go down! I'm following this.

• Profile Photo

Hey! That's a cool idea, man! I cant wait to see the process go down! I'm following this.

• Profile Photo

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Standing by. . . . . . . . . . .

🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Standing by as well, my friend!