A Messerschmitt 109 for two

Started by Erik Gjørup · 86 · 2 years ago · Bf109, Bf109G-12, CS-199, CS-99, HA1110-K1L, HA1112-M4L, Messerschmitt, UMe 109
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you folks - appreciate all the advice and comments!

@gblair - I have to admit it was with shaking hands that I made the cuts.

@lgardner - as this is based on a G4, it will have to become a LW plane. Just trying to figure out some marks that were used on operational flights (with an observer in the rear seat)

@jamesb - thank you for the link and info - I have bought some plastic polish that may be pressed into use. If it fails I do have vac-formed to fall back on (harvested from the vac-form G12, so a new one will have to be made for that plane)

@holzhamer - thank you - as mentioned earlier the two-seater was actually used operationally on the eastern front (picture in LiF29 as mentioned of a LW pilot celebrating his 500th operational flight on a G-12)

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Wow this is ambitious, and great job. It always amazed me they bothered to make a 'trainer' for the 109...I don't think there is much an instructor could do once a groundloop gets started. I'm sure you have seen the G-12 Meirer Motors built out of a Buchon. It can accept both a Merlin and a DB. Some of the restoration photos may help, I'm pretty sure this was done to spec.
    https://www.meiermotors.com/index.php/aircraft/messerschmitt-bf109/messerschmitt-bf109-g-12?showall=&start=1

• Profile Photo

@jimh - Jim, thank you for the link, but yes, I have been around Hangar 10. They recently sold the plane to the Messerschmitt stiftung, getting their G-6 in exchange. The Merlin is exchangeable with a DB in case they need to be authentic for some airshow!

• Profile Photo

Throttle up!

As I have used a standard and a resin cockpit modifications have to take place!

For one, the throttles are placed at different positions in the resin and plastic versions. And so, I will have to make two new throttles – as the plastic one is OK, but not really up to spec for this build.

And the cutout has been done and testfitted too.

Parts laid out

The throttlequadrants are just basic here – handles have to be made.

next up, some more cockpitting? – the rear fairing maybe? Saty tuned

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Erik. Everything looks like it is coming together. I was wondering if you had seen the 2 seat 109 conversion by Alley Cat in England? It is in 1/32, but offers the stuff you need to convert a Revell G-6 into a 2 seater. It keeps calling me, but I think I would have a hard time cutting up a sacrificial kit.

• Profile Photo

@gblair I do have the G-6 1/32 in my stash, but for now I think I will stay with 1/48. Thank you for pointing the Alley Cat out to me - may be one to add to the stash for later?

• Profile Photo

Hood and instrumentpanel

The hood is started and instrumentpanel for backseater commences

While I still do not quite know what direction to go, I try to make my own canopy and fairing behind the second cockpit.
    Now, the floor and backrests have been ready a long time, so I put in some seatpans, and started making the panel for the backseat.

I slaughtered a erla-hut and an ordinary hood to make the middle frame and to make a template of where to place the frame for the rear fixed part. I also made a template for the fairing. With a few eduard 109 builds in progress and some made, the sparesbox is filled to the brim with different parts.

I may have to put this on hold a short while as my girlfriend gave me an H&S Infinity for my birthday, and I have a few 109’s sitting around that wants some paint.

Stay tuned – keep the comments and info flowin'

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

It looks like you have been busy with doing this surgery ! It also is shaping up very nicely too. Sounds like you have a keeper for your girlfriend. That’s a great birthday gift and now you can start painting your remaining 109’s ...

Very cool !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Wow. The amount of surgery and fitting on this build is breath-taking. Ditto on Louis' girlfriend comment. :o)

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

For your viewing pleasure, this is from 2014. Edwards passed away in May of this year. Not sure of the status of all the planes, some have been sold for sure. https://youtu.be/Hzeux7ZfFuQ

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along beautifully!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

That is an amazing video James...wow. @jamesb

I especially liked his comments on the flying characteristics of the 109 vs. the Spitfire vs. the P-51. This is coming from a man who flew them all and had many hours in each type. Sad to hear about his passing.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you for the comments and links and all. I did some more work, (but no pictures yet) and put this one away to re-focus on some of the other builds. Tried the new airbrush on a handful of spinners in red, yellow and white and some RLM 02 on all the idle 109's - they were happy to finally get some attention!

@lgardner - roger that, I will keep her even though she's not 23 any more
    @gblair - thank you
    @jamesb - great stuff! I knew the "gathering of planes" were there - such a joy that they are added to the airshow scene!
    @gkittinger thank you sir

Now, this one will have a break in the box, and work will keep me busy for a week or so, time will show if a 109 or DHC6 will pop up next!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Steamin’ on

It’s been two months since I last posted progress on this one – and not a lot has happened

However, some minor detailing of the cockpit has been taking place these last few days as I re-start the 109 assembly line.

Sorry, but just one picture to show the progress. Mostly it has been PE parts, but some styrene has been included. There is a few differences between the front and rear cockpit, but as they were sometimes modified in the field I suppose there may have been some that had trim-wheels from another version in real life too.

And so it gets a few days in the box again as I get ready for some paint and instrument panels – then it will be time to assemble the thing and get on with canopy and that. Still no decision how to tackle that part though.

stay tuned for next update