A Messerschmitt 109 for two

• 79 posts
  • Last reply 1 week, 6 days ago
  • Bf109, Bf109G-12, CS-199, CS-99, HA1110-K1L, HA1112-M4L, Messerschmitt, UMe 109
Viewing 76 - 79 of 79 posts
  • Greg Kittinger said 2 weeks ago:

This is a fun beast to watch taking shape! And I too thank you for all the “primers” on proper Luftwaffe colors – my 109 project will benefit from your expertise!

• Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 1 week, 6 days ago:

More at Augsburg!

Nice Eric!

• Walt B said 1 week, 6 days ago:

To all those discussing RLM02, it is probably my favorite all around color. I am by far NOT an expert on Luftwaffe colors and have seen many furious discussions in forums over them, especially concerning camouflage colors. What I do know is that in general, RLM02 was used as the protective coating for internal components and cockpits pre-war and during the early years. RLM02 continued to be used as a protective coating for interior components through out most of the war, but was discontinued in the cockpits I believe in late 1941 or early 1942, I will let the experts tell you exactly when. After which point RLM66 was used in the cockpits. So if you are building an aircraft from Luftwaffe during WWII you are pretty safe in using RLM02 for wheel housings, engine nacelles, landing gear, and so on. The cockpit will be determined on when the aircraft was made.
    *Disclaimer again I am not an expert! Also, it is also true late in the war, for expediency some aircraft were made leaving some or all interior structure bare.

• Erik Gjørup said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Well stated Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I also feel it safe to add that the color of RLM02 changed over the years, becoming darker. Many colors changed as the pigments used became ever more difficult to get as some of them were from excotic locations, no longer available to the Germans as the war progressed, and more or less all pigments had to be sourced within Germany. So in my humble opinion the RLM02 actually was lighter in color in the early years. I do by no means count myself an expert – I just read a lot 🙂

Viewing 76 - 79 of 79 posts