Academy 1/72 F-104G Starfighter

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 102 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Academy, F-104
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Hey - Look what I found in my stash ... now I can see why you also closed the air brakes. Your decals look much better than mine. It gonna look great with the Marineflieger scheme.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Matchbox stands, shaped as "M", done in clear sprue, with the "Lesney etc" internally imprinted were so cool, John@johnb. Also, many other companies included stands of various sizes and shapes. I use them for desktop models (of course), also to mount and display items like leftover engines from kits.

George @georgeswork, it is the exact same kit! Once you close everything, the only offending area is the cockpit. An underscale mummy pilot is provided; I am going to replace him with a leftover guy from a Heller Alpha Jet kit. With the help of a total black cockpit and 3ft min distance restriction to viewers, it might be passable...

The canopy is a real joke: its shape looks toyish; it has nice frames, BUT THEY ARE INTERNALLY MOLDED! Go figure...

The 23+25 Marineflieger F-104, looked like this in 17 July 1971:

It sported dark green/dark gray splinter top camo.

Seemingly, from 1972 onwards, the top was painted dark gray allover and the black antiglare area at the radome was deleted. Here's how she looked in 1980:

I find the splinter top camo interesting and unique, but also the single color later one is equally impressive, if not more...It will also be easier to paint 🙂

Anyway, decisions, decisions...

Sanding finished

A few bits to attach and onto the paint shop!

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 2 months ago:

LqS looks effective. Too bad I made mine too thick without realizing and it dried out. Your 104 is pretty nice lookin so far!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Coming along nicely Spiros, I quite like the later scheme, -----------
    Jordyn, try putting a piece of sprue in some thinners and brushing it into place, see pic !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jordyn @1corsair64! Try Allan's suggestion! Works great!
    Thanks Allan @kalamazoo! I lean towards the latter, too: a single nice "basalt" gray upper tone and no black antiglare area at the radome: less is more, especially at our 1/72 case here...

• Profile Photo

Pylons attached...

Since it is a Marine Flugzeug, I decided to add all 4 wing tanks (for longer missions), the central main pylon (to be mission ready, able to be loaded with offensive load) and the two Sidewinder belly pylons. No bombs/rockets are provided, only two Sidewinders, so I will install them too, my Marine Starfighter being configured as a QRA Interceptor, but keeping its central pylon for rapid config change, should op requirements change. I believe it's a real scenario...anyway, kids love stores!

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Jordyn @1corsair64, just add glue to the mix - it will soften again. Just keep it in an airtight container and you will be fine.
    Spiros @fiveten, nice progress. The central pylon looks like a reccepod IMHO. Will be nice with sidewinders for the kid to go hunting 😀

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the info, my friend @airbum!
    So, may I suppose it will be a Marine recce bird, with maximum fuel capacity, in order to fly longer, armed with the two Sidewinders for its own defense?
    Sounds about right to me!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice to see all these add-ons on the 104, Spiros.
    Almost time to get it painted.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John @johnb!
    The bulky center add-on is a recce pod, as our friend Erik @airbum pointed out, quite an impressive item! (I thought it was a badly raw molded central pylon...).
    Yep, we are ready for some paint now!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten,
    Those recon pods used by the Dutch airforce were also very large.
    At Volkel airfield I saw them used quite often.

• Profile Photo

What a great pic, my friend @johnb! Thanks for sharing it: this Starfighter looks wonderful!
    Here's an update:
    I painted the radome lightened Hu196 for the "off white" and the tip tanks Hu18, for the orange center part. Here they are:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Nicely done, Spiros @fiveten.
    Just wondering how that bird is hanging on its tail.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb!
    It is held by a pair of tweezers, the ones used to hold the decals in the water! It is hidden by the arm of my tanks holding device!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I see a needle pointing down my friend 🙂