Academy 1/72 F-104G Starfighter

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 102 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Academy, F-104
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice scratch build addition, Spiros @fiveten
    This will for sure brighten up the pilot's workspace.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks my friends @lgardner and @johnb!

Louis, I have only built a couple of quarter scale Hasegawa Starfighters: they are really nice, modern kits. I have no knowledge of the Testors/Hawk kit: looks like an old mold on the simplistic side. Call me nuts, but I love Hawk kits: upon seeing them, an urge to build them arises! And, may I say that the Testors reboxes usually sported nice, workable soft plastic and amazing Scalemaster decals! What is not to like?

John, an extra detailing attempt, from the pilot's waist and upwards, will take place, hoping to detract the eye from the matt black underneath empty area!

• Profile Photo

Wrapping up...

I painted the cockpit black, the ejection handles black with yellow stripes, the minimal instrument panel black with silver and red dots. The area in front of the instrument panel was unevenly painted green, in order to simulate the blanket the real thing sports there. The same green was used to paint the "seat" top, which is actually the parachute pack. I then installed the already painted pilot (with red scarf!). all is missing now is a small acetate to represent the HUD glass.

I also attached the exhaust nozzle, the wing tanks and the wing pylons. I let the plane rest at it still unpainted base and all is drying now...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Only one drying session from the finishline? - looking good for a kit of that kind Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 2 months ago:

The ejection seat handles and pilot fill that cockpit nicely. I like this scheme a lot too, Spiros. There’s definitely no shortage of great color options when building F-104s!

• Profile Photo

Some final bits remain, my friend @airbum!
    Oh, and scratchbuild an arresting hook, as the kit supplied one was too toyish...even for my 8-year old godson...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

It is becoming a beautiful gift, Spiros @fiveten
    Maybe an idea to give your godson a red scarf as well like this pilot has.
    He will for sure like this great build of yours.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    The red scarf sounds a great idea...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Almost finished and looking good Spiros !

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @kalamazoo!

• Profile Photo

Finishing touches before final coating

The Starfighter sports some very characteristic navigation lights just above the air intakes (red and green) and bilaterally at roughly the turbine height (both red or both amber). all those were wrongly represente by ther decals as red. To make them look more like the real thing, I touched them with my Pilot silver pen and, upon drying, I added a tiny droplet of clear red or green, where applicable.

Here is the result for the starboard front navilight:

• I drilled out the gun hole and painted its innards gun metal.

• I added a small gunsight from an acetate piece, affixed with white glue

• I attached the hook, painted with the underside color (the shape is less toyish, but not the attachment, as in reality hte hook enters the fuselage through a hole at the starboard side of the ventral fin...oh well...)

• The Sidewinders were painted white, had their rears drilled out and painted black, in order to simulate their nozzles, and had their tips painted cream (to simulate the seeker glass). They were then attached at their pylons.

• The pitot tube was attached. Its body was painted radome color, its tip burned metal, polished upon drying.

• The base was painted Plastikote chrome silver (from a can).

• I could not hold myself and applied a light weathering black wash. It accenuated the engraved panel lines subtly, but pleasantly.

Off to the paint shop for the final coating!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

<iframe title=""The Vikings" F 104G Starfighter German Navy's Demo Team" width="500" height="375" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQasfk3LcTw?feature=oembed&quot; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

• Profile Photo

Wow, Morne @mornem!

What a video! Aerobatics with the Starfighter!

Even more so, as they sport the same camo with the one I build!

Performing aerobatics with the Starfighter means you are a class pilot!

I kept on watching the low speed/high AOA pass section...

This is amazing!

Thanks a lot, my friend, for poasting it, I really enjoyed it!

And here is my Marinefliger coated (drying):

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Those pilots are amazing! The Germans had over 900 Starfighters in service and lost more than 200 in accidents if memory serves. Your model looks great Spiros!

• Profile Photo

That's right, Morne @mornem, they had horrendus losses at the start, mainly because they were operating fast and low at difficult weather conditions...
    Things improved a bit later on, mainly due to better training.
    Thanks for liking my progress! I hope the silvering at the wing will disappear upon clear coat drying...it was not there (or, not that apparent) before the final coat...