Academy 1/72nd B-24D Liberator MTO

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 72 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Getting there Chuck, ---------
    Lis, 31 Sqn RAAF operated Beaufighters, check out ADF serials website, DK decals 72022 has a range of RAAF Liberators !

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@kalamazoo My mistake! 31 sqd SAAF.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks everyone for the comments. Deeply appreciated. Allan thanks for the tip RAAF Liberator decals I will check them out.
    This brief up date will finish up under the tail. And assemble the engines.

First the tail bump is installed in place just aft of where the lower would normally be located.

The observer's rear lower window is next to install. This will go aft of the tail bumper skid.

3 .50 cal defensive guns are prepped. These will go in the nose.

Next is start on the engines.

These are very simple, and not the greatest in details, even in 72nd scale.

The engine cowls have the interiors painted Neutral Grey.

Not long to assemble all 4. A wash over the cylinders and crank case does enhance a bit, but really could be better.

Then each engine assembly are attached to the wing mounted nacelles.

Now looking the part of a Liberator, still a ways to go.

Next some glass work,
    more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @uscusn!
    Looks like a Liberator now!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Nice progress, Chuck @uscusn
    You did get that screen placed very nicely, usually these dry fit perfectly but when applying for real it becomes hard to get it right.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

You are down to the fiddly bits before painting, Chuck (@uscusn). I always hate trying to figure out what to do with the machine gun barrels that protrude from the glass that you glue on prior to painting. Looking forward to see how you handle them.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I have to agree with you - in this day amd age we have become used to super-detailes radials, even in 1/72. I suppose back in the days these were the norm. A wash and some propellerblades will help a lot I suppose. Anyhow, great progress here!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros it has been a long term project.
    Thanks John, was not quite an exact fit, and careful not to push it through into the fuselage. Time will tell as the build progresses that I still don't do that.
    George, yes the final detail bits after the paint session, that can be a chore at times.
    True Erik, even though the era this kit was produced should've been a bit better.

• Profile Photo

With the basic airframe assembled, now to install the glass pieces.

Starting with the nose, first inserting the .50's in place and then installing place on the nose.

A bit better image of the RH inner engine. (port side)

The canopy is made up of three pieces. Which complicates a simple step. Would much rather have this as one piece. Being that Academy has different variants in this series of B-24's this allows to have the correct side windows thus the separate parts.

The fit is ok when the canopy is attached in place.

Always did like the "D" version of the Liberator, before the later nose turret versions came along later in production.

Next so more minor details to attach before we mask off all that glass.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Great job on those transparencies, my friend @uscusn!
    Looking forward to see them masked!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I am with you, Chuck (@uscusn). The early model B-24s just look cool. Now all you need to do is mask all of the glass.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Thanks Spiros, long time since working on the B-24, another long term project to finish in the upcoming New Year.
    Thanks George, next step is to start the masking process. Including the de-icer boots on the leading edges of the flying surfaces.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Now the tedious process of masking the clear panels on the nose and cockpit. Using the long sought after Eduard's mask set for the Academy B-24D.

Will start on the nose glazing first.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Indeed, some serious masking ahead, my friend @uscusn!
    The Liberator looks great!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I love B-24s, Chuck @uscusn. Glad to see you are working on it again. Have a great New Year.