Aero L-29 Delfín at RIMPAC 2010, 1:48 (Eduard/AMK)

Started by Martin Dytrych · 44 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I guess this is first time I am building aircraft designed and build in my homeland.
    However, I am navy aircraft fan and this will not be exception. Despite we are situated right in the middle of Europe and have no sea access, this Delfín (Dolphin, what an irony! :), was participating RIMPAC 2010 aboard on LHD-6 USS Bonhomme Richard. Yes, that ship that was almost destroyed recently by devastating fire during maintenance. Unfortunately, the ship was heavily damaged and it was decided to scrap her as the repair would cost almost the same price as building new modern unit.

But lets go back to the build.
    The kit is excellent. Everything fits perfectly. I just replaced some photoetched levers with my own, more plastic. I also added few tiny extras on instrument panels. The most visible is adding of pockets on right side of the cockpit, which were completely missing in the kit.
    Otherwise - it is just about painting, painting painting...
    OK... not everything is absolutely perfect, but let me be clear, I consider these fixes as minor details which somebody could leave untouched.

1. Surface of the fuselage is a sunken at few places, therefore i used Tamiya Putty to level it.
    2. I removed SARPP cover on the left side (right before exhaust), it was used on export machines only).
    3. It is necessary to remove round cover on the right side of cockpit (in the rear part). It should be on left side only.

In next phase, after I close the fuselage, I will improve a bit also after exhaust area, which is too flat and is missing one plate right after the exhaust.

Cokpit is painted with Tamiya mix of gray, white and light blue to match the shade on photoetched parts.
    Sides upholstery is painted with modulated Tamiya Green and sewing is made with dry pastels.
    The technical section wiring is painted with Vallejo for brush - first layer black and then white, gray or yellow. Some people call "spain technique"... I do not care much, I just like it. I always admire Villalba and his incredible paintworks, I am trying to be as good as he is. I bet he would make some more touches to make it even better, but I am absolutely satisfied with this result. 🙂

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Martin, off to a great start. It looks great from here, especially the bulkheads and the complex PE belts.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Excellent, Martin.
    So much details on this interior.
    Looking forward to the next steps on your Delfín.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

What a great entry, Martin and what a great result so far!
    You cockpit tub looks spotless!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

WOW - splendid finish Martin! I will be strapped in to follow your build.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Delfins are really cool airplanes, Martin (@naviatik). The cockpit looks like you could strap in, crank the engine, and takeoff. Can't wait for the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 3 years ago:

Not much to show today. I closed fuselage, finished some bottles a polished wings.
    Besides, I made new pitot tubes a new covers on bottom side.
    I spent few hours to get some references about gear bays. There will be some more work to be done.
    I also plan to reshape the tail part which is too much flat.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

This is your usual excellent work, Martin.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Progress is great, Martin.
    Pitot tubes are nice.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Looks great, Martin (@naviatik). I have this kit in my garage, so thanks for being my guide through my eventual build.

• Profile Photo

I want to build just a bit improved OOB.
    I am currently making main legs a bit shorter to get accurate stand of the kit - it should look "heavy" on tail.
    Still not decided if I leave flaps down or retracted (which is more accurate position).

• Profile Photo

Main gear wells are almost ready for surfacer. I have also fixed main gear legs - pic will come tomorrow or in few days.
    It was one full afternoon of wiring. Previous day I spent on finishing fulelage surface, so I am very close to start painting. (I would need to prepare all stuff to paint it in one shot.)
    This build goes very nicely and quickly, I am still enojying it a lot.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

You create a masterpiece there, Martin @naviatik!
    Those wells look amazing, among the best I've seen (and definitely the best Delfin ones!)
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Amazing results, Martin.
    I can imagin that this has taken you a full day.
    Great detailing on those wells.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Wow, Martin (@naviatik). A lot of detail packed into the gear wells. Looks great.