Airfix 1/48 BAC TSR 2

  • 22 posts
  • Last reply 5 months ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 22 posts
  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

    As part of a 100 year RAF group build within my local model club, I decided to attempt building the Airfix 1/48 TSR 2. Unfortunately I started late with this daunting project so I won’t be able to finish it for the Imodeler RAF 100 group build. I decided to do lots of scratchbuilding on this project and add the excellent CMK resin sets for the Avionics bay, front wheelwell, airbrakes and burner cans as well as Eduard Big Ed etched parts and Pavla resin ejection seats to round it off. The canopies, instrument coming, mainwheel landing gear, tailfin, pitot tube and other minor details will be scratchbuilt. I started the scratchbuilding first as it would be the most time consuming part. The pitot was fashioned from a needle using a Dremmel tool to get the right contours. The rivets on the canopies and windshield were drilled out using a 0,2 drillbit. The front canopy received about 45 bits and pieces consisting of fine sandpaper, pewter foil, stretched sprue, 0.1 mm copper wire, plasticard from Evergreen and Tamiya masking tape.

    13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Stellan Schroeder Englund said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

    This is serious stuff. Fantastic detailing. Will follow this build with great interest.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

    Thanks Stellan. This is me challenging myself regarding scratchbuilding.

  • Julio Contreras Martínez said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Después de ver las fotos tengo muchísimas ganas de ver el avión completo…¡ como va a ser!.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Thanks Julio for your comment. I also wish I was at the stage to reveal the TSR 2. However, scratchbuilding is time consuming and for me a very rewarding part of the building process. The biggest challenge of the build will be an accurate representation of the complex landing gear of the TSR 2.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Today I started detailing the inside of the rear canopy. Plasticard strips from Evergreen, pewter foil and fine sandpaper make up the interior cover. The gold tint of the side windows were done with Tamiya clear yellow. Will add more details to the rear area of the canopy tomorrow.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Today I focused on adding more internal details to the aft section of the rear canopy. I used pewter foil, Evergreen strips, stretched sprue and insulated copper wire. Only details still to be added are thin copper wires attached to the “gold” tinted clear parts (Not actually sure what these copper wires are suppose to represent but they are clearly visible in reference photos), canopy locking mechanisms and drilling rivets into the outer panel of the canopy.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    After a short time away from the bench, I managed to finish the scratchuilt interior of the rear TSR 2 canopy. The canopy contains 37 individual pieces to detail the interior. I also made the canopy actuator mechanism from a thin copper tube and hypodermic needle.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Jeff Bailey said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    Great work, Morne! Would those copper wires be something like a defroster mechanism? Just guessing.

    Well done, Sir!

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    Thanks Jeff. Yes you are correct it is part of the heating and defrosting system. Those copper wires are hair thin. Each defroster is attached to two copper wires.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    Intricate work on the canopy is quite incredible. You can almost win model of the month for just doing the canopy alone. It is that good. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

  • david leigh-smith said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    This has caught me just the right side of that Goldilocks zone between inspiration and “why do I bother doing this hobby when folks can build THAT?

    Thank you for going into so much detail, Morne.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    Thanks Chuck for the compliment !! Much of what I am capable of doing has come from learning from others, such as yourself, on Imodeler. The TSR 2 is one of my all time favourite aircraft of the Cold War so I want to go all out on this one.

  • Morne Meyer said 5 months, 1 week ago:

    Thanks David !! The scratchbuilding bug has got hold of me ever since I started working on the Tamiya Beaufighter, which I have put aside for now. Needless to say once the TSR 2 is done the Beaufighter build will resume. I always like to challenge myself with every build to see how far I can go to super detail my models. It is a time consuming process but very rewarding in the end. Next up will be detailing the windshield internal structure and adding details to the cockpit. I think the biggest challenge on this build will be the intricate plumbing on the main undercarriage and the undercarriage bays.

  • Greg Kittinger said 5 months ago:

    wow – in a zone beyond me! Looking incredible – love all the detail, and being able to see it come together step by tiny step! Fantastic Morne!

Viewing 1 - 15 of 22 posts