Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hurricane MK I

Started by Yann Bertholet · 93 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hi everybody, for my second post in this group I would like to share my work on my new project: Hurricane MK I from Airfix. This will be my first AIRFIX build ever.

First, starting by the cockpit cell: By looking at the manual I noticed that there is a lot of stuff to fit there. Good point, well detailed! Then I started removing parts from the sprues and was really surprised by the quality of the plastic: Really soft! That's again a score (in my opinion) for this maker.

Then started the problems. I have a medium panel of paint (mainly from Revell and Humbrol), but while reading the notice, I could not find any paint guidance. By my little experience in the model world, I knew that Airfix was mainly working with Humbrol, so problem solved. But, there is always a but... I could not find any picture of a Hurricane with this kind of paint metalized aluminum. After investigation I found a picture from a British museum with a paint scheme with was more fitting me: Tubular frame in aluminum, and the rest in the RAF interior green.

Regarding the seat a dash board, I was not keen to spend a lot of money with extra parts.

The dash board is only hand painted.

And the seat received 'home made' seat belts (paint mask) and painted.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The start of this Hurricane looks great, Yann @yann
    Your handpainted IP and searbelts are really nice.
    Seems like this Airfix kit is also from the more recent kits and my experience with them is very positive regarding the details and fitting.
    Good luck on the next steps.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @yann!. And what a start!
    Loved what you did with the cockpit, paint research included. Looks like Airfix did a detailed design regarding this kit's cockpit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot John @johnb. The model will probably be displayed with the closed canopy, that's why I decided to keep the interior details at the minimum.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @fiveten Spiros. You are right regarding the details in the cockpit, I found it pretty accurate. For the paint, I spent half a day to decide what to choose... At the end I 'm satisfied with the result.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great start - I like the IP. Nice paintjob.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great start. I’m a big Airfix fan but haven’t built one of these yet. I’ll be watching.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great, Yann (@yann). I am currently working on the 1/48 Airfix P-40B. This is my second of the "new" Airfix kits and I really like them. The only problem I have had is that the plastic seems a little soft, so I really have to be careful with some of the smaller or thin parts. I have this kit in my stash, so I am looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Erik @airbum for the nice comment

• Profile Photo

Tks John @j-healy. Actually it's my first Airfix kit, and a second one is waiting on my stash (Lancaster Dambuster). So far I'm impressed by the detailing of the kit. Let's see what the future will bring with this project.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks George @gblair. I just checked your build on the P-40 and it looks amazingly nice! I fully agree with you with the soft plastic. The advantage is that you can bend it (to a certain point) to fit it properly on the kit. But yesterday I noticed that once painted it was more rigid and the piece kept the bended format. I believe I will have to fit the painted pieces in place!

• Profile Photo

Yesterday, I installed the pilot seat and started the wings lower section.

Then I realized that the paint was not matching. Actually the undercarriage bay should be grey in my opinion and not RAF int. green. After investigation I decided to paint it greyish (which one TBD?) like shown on this picture

The same paint will be applied for the interior of the upper wings.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @yann!
    Yep, Airfix plastic is soft, with its good and bad sides...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great, @yann. I think we are having the same experience with the soft plastic in the kit. Good news and bad news there. It is hard to tell in your photo if the gear bays are light gray or aluminum (or aluminum paint?).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good progress, Yann @yann
    Personally I do like to work with the latest Airfix plastic as well.
    For the bays color, I tend to say the same as George @gblair, it looks a bit aluminum to me.