Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire FR XIV

Started by David Mills · 70 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, FR, Spitfire, Supermarine, XIV
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 3 months ago:

A little more progress,primer on, MRP Medium Sea Grey, and a little diluted Perfect Plastic Putty around the radiators!
    Topside next

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good David, I'm really enjoying your build review, as there's been lots of comments, pro as well as con, about this kit.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Progressing nicely, David.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 3 months ago:

David, glad to see some forward movement on this project. The current crop of photos are great to see...some chaps like to shoot pic's of their surgical sweet while some of us work in garage while in the act of creating, Some tools laying about the bench waiting for the proper moment to spark life into a project...

Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Your Spitfire is at the stage where you can really start to see the results of all your efforts. It's looking very good and black paint is not very forgiving. It shows any and all defects, just like a Gloss Sea Blue or a Silver does. I'll bet your getting excited about spraying on the Dark Green and Earth colors next.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great. The later mark Spits really had a fast and aggressive look to them. What did you dilute your Perfect Plastic Putty with?

• Profile Photo

Thanks George@gblair just a couple of drops of water-literally a couple of drops! I find it goes quite runny, and can be applied to gaps with a brush, the excess can be wiped away with a damp cotton bud. Before and after below.Cheers

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis @lgardner! Just a last few bits to fettle and mask!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

@davem coming along nicely! - I have to source me some Perfect Plastic Putty, it is looking so great when you use it! Seems like a great solution to my "student" status needs.

• Profile Photo

While I admire anyone who can keep their bench clear,I cannot - however by chance this book arrived yesterday! Best wishes Stephen@stephen-w-towle

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Erik @airbum thank you for checking in! This is the stuff-it cleans up in water.
    I find it a bit sticky to use neat but diluted a bit it flows nicely into gaps and can be cleaned up without too much collateral damage

• Profile Photo

Thank you John@j-healy!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom@tom-bebout! This kit is a good kit and is enjoyable to build! It has a few minor foibles but they are only a few, and they are minor! I will be buiding another and I am looking forward tothe highback version!Great to have you along !

• Profile Photo

Masking complete - ready to go.
    MRP - Dark Earth and Dark Green.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 3 months ago:

The coup d'etat or coo day tah with the book and the bench... all make for a good build. Love it.