Airfix 1/48th Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II

Started by Julian Shawyer · 43 · 5 years ago · 1/48th scale, Airfix, Curtiss, RAF, Tomahawk
  • Profile Photo
    Julian Shawyer said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Hello gentlemen.
    Once again, I wish to apologise for leaving it so long since my last post.

I've made a little progress, and would like to show you how I made my masks for painting the wings.

After increasing the painting instructions by 177%, I placed a section of masking sheet over the painting plan. I then marked the camouflage pattern, and a couple of panel lines on the template from the plans in pen. The panel lines were marked so I could use them to align the template when placing it on the model.

I held the 3 parts of the horizontal stabiliser in place with masking tape (sticky side up), so I could align the mask.

The sections of the homemade masking was applied on top of the Dark Earth which I had painted beforehand.

This was also down with the main wing section.

Below is the finished result.

I feel I was a little heavy handed when spraying the wings. I put this down to lack of practice of late with my airbrush.

The last photo shows how I marked out the black section of the lower wing.
    I taped the paper mask in place, then using masking tape, I taped the curve.
    I'm hoping to spray it over the weekend.
    If I'm happy with the result, I will weather the panel lines and put on the decals.

Thanks for looking in.
    Julian.

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 5 years, 9 months ago:

That is such a cool Skyraider. Great Job on it.

• Profile Photo
    paul teixeira said 5 years, 9 months ago:

P-40 coming out great. Love the camo job on this, top notch~!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Paul. Glad you liked it.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

That is a great idea with the masking. I just may have to use this method when it comes time to spray the Spitfires.

Well done !

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good Julian! I like the masking, well done.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis. Is very easy to do.

Many thanks John.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Did I miss it, or did you mention what product you use for those translucent masks that you cut? I'd like to try something similar...

• Profile Photo

Thank you Greg.
    No, you didn't miss anything, I forgot to mention the product I used, my apologies

I purchased mine in the UK, but I'm sure it will be available in other countries.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Artool-Ultra-Mask-24cm-x-1M.html#SID=2675
    Above is the one I used. I found it left some residue on the surface. It could have been the brand of paint I used, I don't know. I noticed when I looked for the link to send you that another product is available. This appears to be aimed at modellers and could be more suitable. The residue that was left was easily rubbed off.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Artool-Hobby-Mask.html#SID=20

The alternative product is manufactured by the same company.

Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 9 months ago:

@gkittinger It's available on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003FJQRUK/?coliid=I2NOJ39PB7NLHF&colid=1JNIC836LQJF0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    This is 4" x 5 yards.

This is looking very good Julian. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Thank you James.

That's also a good link for modellers in the USA. Thank you

I weathered the wing using Flory weathering wash. I've left the port wing with the wash still applied. The starboard wing has been cleaned and polished ready for the decals to be applied.
    I've polished a little to hard in places, and went through the paint. This will have to be touched up later.

The lower wing with the black painted and polished.

Thanks for looking in.

• Profile Photo

I've applied the decals on the top and lower wing.

The 'D' recognition letter on the lower wing is very delicate.
    There is no transparent film on the inside of the letter. This reduces any problems with silvering, but care must be taken when applying the decal. I didn't realise until it had lifted from the backing paper. I got it a bit screwed up at first, but it came good in the end.

Thanks for looking in.