Airfix 1/72 Beaufort.

Started by John Healy · 60 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I added this to my last Xtracolor order from Kitlinx when I saw it in stock. This kit seems pretty thin on the ground here in the US and I was glad to grab it.
    I started basic assembly and dry fitting the other day. It’s very impressive all around. Extraordinary fit and incredible detail packed in. I really like the engineering and detail on these 1/72 Airfix multi-engine kits. A lot of fun in a small package for a decent price.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Seems like a good kit, I'm hoping they'll eventually build a 1/48 version, definitely seems like a lot of detail for 1/72 which is always good.

The weirdest thing I find about the kit is the box art, strange angle to show off an aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

It’s definitely different boxart, but it certainly does tell the story of the attack on Gneisenau. A lot of these new Airfix kits have a note on the box describing the action. I think it’s a great way to spark interest in younger modelers. FYI, ICM is doing a Beaufort in 1/48 this year.
    The detail is really something, much like the new 1/72 Wellington kits. They got me dabbling in 1/72 again after 30 years of a solid 1/48 diet.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That will be a great build, John @j-healy
    After restarting this hobby I did a couple of those new Airfix kits and they a great, fitting and detailing is very good.
    Looking forward to yours.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @j-healy!
    As much as I love EVERY scale, isn't it nice that Airfix contributes so significantly in 1/72 scale revival? Kind of like the past times! The kit and your progress, both look great!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

A little more progress today. Tape seatbelts and a little dry brushing to liven it up.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 9 months ago:

kit look very nice!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @j-healy!
    Love your interior! My usual boring statement follows: "hope a lot can be seen under the transparencies...".
    Looking forward to your progress on this so nice subject!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice, John @j-healy
    Nice addition from Airfix is the presence of those struts to make the wing junction more stirdy.
    Looking forward to your next steps.

• Profile Photo

After painting the interior, the Beaufort assembled quickly. Unfortunately, I think I committed an unforced error with the small round windows on either side of the fuselage. I can almost swear that they were pretty close to flush with the fuselage when I installed them. As you can see, they’re not now. I must’ve pushed them in when I joined the fuselage halves. I think my only option now is to pop them out and make new ones from white glue after the model is painted.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Great steps, John @j-healy
    Great looking interior.
    Are you not able to push the windows back using a long thin stick from the frontside of the fuselage?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @j-healy!

Pity about the windows. If you are not able to re-push them at their original position, as our friend @johnb suggested, you may push the windows in, smooth the circular opening and apply a good portion of Clearfix or similar product at finishing stages. The result will be great!

• Profile Photo

I already tried pushing them in. They must have set at odd angles. They’re small enough to be replicated with Clearfix. I just hate to pop them!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looks awesome, John (@j-healy). I have been looking for one of these in the States for a long time, but nothing so far. I have been tempted to order one from overseas, but the postage is a killer. On the windows, could you fill them with white glue or similar to bring them level with the fuselage?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George. I’ll use Testors clear part cement or Elmers clear school glue. I just successfully popped the offending bits out. Check out Hannants. I buy decals and flat stuff like PE from them a few times a year. Their decal selection is massive. I occasionally throw a smaller kit (usually Airfix) in too. The postage is higher, but not atrocious. They’re service is excellent too. Gets here quick.