Airfix 1/72 Beaufort.

Started by John Healy · 60 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

For a small model, this thing consumed a lot of masking tape. Mostly to take care of curved paint lines and unusual shapes, especially on the wings. Xtracolor Extra Dark Sea Grey today. Humbrol #102 for the slate Grey tommorow.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

A lot of masking tape indeed, my friend @j-healy!
    Looking good, even better with Hu102 tomorrow!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Very nice result already, John. @j-healy
    That masking tape is well worth the investment, she will be looking great once removed.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along very nicely, John. I am impressed with what you have done in 1/72. The paintwork, particularly on the interiors is really good. Great that you are doing two side-by-side. I love this stage when everything is masked and you finally get to do the camo. Speaking of masking, the greenhouse glazing windows must have been super tiny in this scale! I have a couple of 1/72 kits I would really like to do, having no 1/48 equivalent and being some of my favorite designs. In particular there is the Hasegawa Ki. 67 Peggy and the new tool H8K-1 Emily - both excellent models. I can see with your build that having a well designed and detailed quality kit to start with is really helpful. Looks like your Beaufort will look 1/48 in the end.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looks great, John (@j-healy). The investment in masking tape is well worth the effort. I always regret it when I try to be a miser with the tape.

• Profile Photo

Yes, George. I agree. Tape is cheap in the long run. Basic colors done. I might be able to decal and Future late tonight.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

These new Airfix 1/72 kits are amazing, Colin. These kits are as detailed as 1/48 models. I learned to buy the mask when I built my first Whitley. That Emily looks like a nice nice model. I hope you build it soon!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Beautifully done, John @j-healy
    How did you mask the upper part to get this perfect pattern?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. Silly Putty. Much like Blu Tak. I reversed my order of color application on this one and put down the gloss Xtracolor Extra Dark Sea Grey first. I did this because the silly putty can sometimes leave a slight stain on flat paints like the Humbrol #102 that I use for Dark Slate Grey. I actually think the contrast turned out better doing it this way. We’ll see after the clear coats.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Turned out marvelous, my friend @j-healy!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Chipped, decalled, and Futured. I’ll give it a wash and finish it up by Sunday. Word of caution: The decals are high quality Cartograph items. They have very little carrier film around the fuselage codes. Take your time applying them for an excellent result.
    I’ll next post it on the main page when it’s finished. Thanks for looking!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Your Beaufort is spectacular, John (@j-healy). I still can't get my hands on one of these kits, but I sure do want a couple.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Congratulations, @j-healy!
    What a spectacular result!
    Looking forward to see it finished.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Well, you have certainly convinced me what a good kit it is. This will be a great result @j-healy.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Amazing result so far, John @j-healy
    Looking forward to the moment that you remove those masks.