Airfix 1/72 Avro Lancaster B.III Special ”The Dambusters”

Started by Matthew Sorensen · 17 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 10 years, 2 months ago:

My current project at the work bench is Airfix's 1/72 scale Lancaster B.III Special. It's been slow getting started but I was able to get some painting done on the interior. The new tooling Lanc from Airfix is a nice kit and I'm looking forward to seeing one of these big bombers on my shelf.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Looks good so far Matt. Nice to see a Lancaster being built on imodeler.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good Matt. Nice to hear from you.

• Profile Photo

Sorry I have been away for awhile, model building was hit or miss through 2013. I'm hoping to be a better contributer in 2014 with some more 1/72 scale builds that I want to do this year. I like iModeler.com for several reasons and have given up using most other modeling sites.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Lazerus rises from the dead! Where the hell have you been? I am quite sure the newly tooled Airfix Lancaster is just as good a kit and at probably half the price of the Hasegawa/Revell of Germany offerings. Keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

@ Seamus Boughe

Slumming on Facebook. Social Medea can be very addictive, fortunately I was able to break free from it's slimy claws for the most part. I still run a 1/72 scale modelers group there so I check in everyday and also keep up with my grown children's lives. I gave up playing the games though, just to much of a time waster that cuts into building at the work bench.

• Profile Photo

An update to the Lancaster:
    I have the flight deck pretty much where I want it, I used the kit decal for the IP and dressed up the pilot's seat with some Edward colored PE RAF belts. next I'll move on to the radio operator's area and finish up any detail painting needed inside the crew areas. The other day all the side windows were glued in place on the fuselage. I'm thinking about masking them now to keep them from getting scratched during construction.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Nice progress on the Airfix Lanc. This is my first chance to see anyone build one and a good way to view how nice the kit looks so far. I am slowly working on Tam's 48th Dambuster. Was thinking of getting Revells kit, but seeing the Airfix 2nd generation version, I may reconsider. I will watch this project as it progresses with keen interest. Thanks for sharing.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

• Profile Photo

Very nice detail work there Matt. Like the IP & harnesses. I look forward to seeing this progress.

• Profile Photo

Chuck - I have the Revell Lanc - MkI/III, and can say its a great kit (although i've not built it yet) The main difference (apart from the price - Revell kit is less expensive) is that you get merlin engines with Revell, which look pretty good on the sprues. I haven't see many built up up i'm told they are on par with the Hasegawa 1/72'S. The new line of Airfix Lancs do look very good though and i'm keen to see Matt's example progress.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 2 months ago:

In my entire modeling career, I have only seen one Lancaster built up. It was the Tamiya 1/48 and man, was it big! Hasegawa kits are top notch, no doubt, but they are not the only game in town. Yes, the Revell Lanc is a very nice kit, but the Airfix looks just as good. Keep us posted Matt.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Matt, I will be following this one with intent, I have got the same kit in my stash to build.
    Yours is looking good mate.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Matt,
    Look forward to seeing the finished product. From what I see so far it is going to be a stunner. The Lanc is another one of those "It's so ugly it's beautiful" British airplanes that I absolutely love. Glad to see you are back in the fold and are showing us your talents.

• Profile Photo

Slow but steady progress on the Airfix Lanc. Plus I learned this week that the B.III Lancs used in the Dambuster missions of May 16-17 1943 were not British but Canadian made or did someone on Facebook feed me some bull?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great Matt. Airfix's newest kits sure look the part eh? Can't comment on the query about whether the dams aircraft were Canadian built tho'. I'll have a look through my info and see if it can be confirmed or not?!