Airfix 1/72nd B-26B Marauder, USAAC, WWII ETO

  • 18 posts
  • Last reply 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Viewing 1 - 15 of 18 posts
  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    This is an original Airfix boxing of the B-26, despite it’s age this is a pretty good effort by the old Airfix with lots of parts in this scale. Though the cockpit needs help, and of course 1970 mouldings I see a nice build despite it’s age. Using Eduards detail set to enhance the kit. This build started about the same time that Tolga started his Monogram Marauder so I waited to post my WIP build until his was completed. Out of courtesy to him as I didn’t want to have 2 B-26 builds going at the same time. Even though 2 different kits in different scales. And his came out excellent by the way.

    1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Eduards PE set is quite extensive to improve the kit as it stands. Starting as usual with the cockpit. Replacing the center control console with the PE is an improvement over the moulded plastic piece. The seats are a vast improvement over the kit provided ones. Let say not even close.

  • Bernd Müller said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Thats an interesting project. The Airfix kit was considered as the best in this scale before the Hasegawa kit came out.
    With some care and help with the mentioned PE parts it will be a beautiful model from one of the best looking twin engined bombers.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Agreed Bernd, now once I can figure out why I can’t post any images get resolved, I have to shelve the WIP for the time being.

  • Bernd Müller said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Chuck, i had this problem a while ago here but Martin solved that, is he aware of your problem ?

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Yes he has corrected the issue.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Now we can get back on track.

    6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Bernd Müller said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Neat work with the PE parts, Chuck !
    The difference between the Airfix seat and the brass one is telling.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    The seat provided in the kit is really the most basic you will ever see which in the day in this scale was typical.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Next to enhance the cockpit a bit with some Eduards brass. Cockpit is Interior Green, with the bombay portion in aluminum. Installing the center console, seat rails and pedals.
    Put that aside for now and start adding the various control boxes and components on each fuselage half. Thats next. More to follow

    9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Bernd Müller said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    The detailing continues, looks pretty amazing !
    ( especially for a oob guy like me )
    The sparse details in the kit are typical of the kits in those days, Airfix made the shape right, the rest is up to you.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 10 months ago:

    Working some more with the PE adding the various consoles, boxes and racks on both fuselage halves. Also onto the forward bulkhead. Lot of patience.

    7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 7 months ago:

    The new year is here and now to continue on with some projects, lots of bits for this kit really enhances the Airfix parts. The kit parts are very thick for this scale, but this is 1970 era mouldings, so there are limitations for the time. Today I will have complete most of the work on the interior though most of it will be hidden. The cockpit, radio compartment and bomb bay section of the build. Interior Green for the cockpit, natural metal in the bomb bay and back to interior green for the rear section. Building the seats in PE can be quite tedious, Especially working in this scale, lots of patience and waiting for the adhesive to set when it involves several pieces like the seat. I don’t know how the ship model builders do it with even smaller bits in 350th scale no less! The bomb bay racks are added and then the compartment is assembled and ready to install in the L fuselage half. In the meantime I use the Eduards instrument panel add it to the IP and install it. Most of the work involves the interior, once all this gets done we can get the fuselage mated and continue on. I put the interior stuff aside and assemble the wing halves. Thats it for now, more to follow.

    11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

    Looks like you have made some great progress !!!!
    I have a hard time bending at gluing photo etched parts together. Your plane sure packs a lot of details in it. Top notch for sure.

  • Chuck A. Villanueva said 1 year, 7 months ago:

    After working on the bomb bay, next to build the upper rear gun turret, replacing the kit bits. And then to install the rest of the windows on the rear section of the fuselage. Then next add the tail gun PE bits and that will pretty much finally have all the interior components done and we can get the fuselage halves together. Many times test fitting, that it will close properly. More to follow.

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 18 posts