Airmodel 1/72 Heinkel P.1078C Resin

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 142 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airmodel, Heinkel, Luft '46, P.1078C, resin
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi everyone!

With so many projects "in work", I left this lttle fellow untouched for a week.

So, here is an update!

Glued a cockpit floor (that had been vanished after the intake deepening) made from a piece of my sons' party plates.

There were no side consoles provided, and the semi bulbuous vacanopy looks wonderfully clear, so...two small side blocks were glued (to be decorated accordingly in due time).

The wings were glued. Dihedral and general appearance are ok, but the root/fuselage gaps are big. Nothing that multi session gap filling cyanoacrylate cannot handle.

All it takes is a bit of patience...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

It is going to be an expensive build with all that filler. . .

Coming along nicely my friend! Keep fillin'

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Just started to follow this interesting build of yours, Spiros @fiveten.
    A tiny plane for sure, lots of precision work is needed but for sure your able to achieve that.
    Looking forward to the end result.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @airbum and @JohnB!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This will be such a cool-looking airplane when it is done, Spiros (@fiveten). I guess the good news here is that it doesn't look like there are a lot of panel lines to lose when you are filling the gaps.

• Profile Photo

Here is another update:

Wheel wells looked a bit lifeless, so I added appropriately cut mesh pieces at both MLG and NLG wells

Looking busier now!

The 2nd round of gap filling cyano session is in process, and goes really well!

If you look at the port wing top root area, you will notice an air bubble, which was just under the surface; I took no risks: I bravely revealed the hole with my Excel blade tip and flooded it with cyano...

About the camo: I lean towards painting this whatif plane as close to reality as possible (...go figure...lol...).

At the last days of WWII, how would the rushed-in-flight testing prototype be painted? RLM02 as base, with some green mottling hastilly applied? What do you think?

Thanks for watching, my friends!

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair!
    Yep, panel lines are kept to a minimum here!
    (...and I don't mind at all for this...lol).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I think I might go for a late war camouflage scheme. Even late-war Me262s and Me163s had full camouflage. Or maybe you can go for a cool experimental scheme that you create?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Whatever you choose will be great, Spiros.
    Your idea of RLM02 with a bit of mottling will fit nicely on this one.
    I always like those mottling camouflages.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @gblair and @johnb!
    Have to decide because moment of truth is very close!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, late war were basically short supply, and whatever was at hand would be used. Testplanes often RLM02 or light blue. Large patches on the undersides natural metal. That would go for an operational plane too, and the uppers some sort of camo like a 262?

Looking forward to your final verdict my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    Moment of truth is approaching!

• Profile Photo

Loop sanding/cyanofilling in process:

Two more air bubbles were revealed.

This time I inserted an appropriate width piece of stretched sprue in the already flooded with gap cyano hole.

Paint time is getting closer, as well as the converging camo decision...
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo

The resin landing gear is not bad in terms of detail, but (if it survives after the cleanup...) I am almost certain it would sag under the significant weight of the model. So, I did a bit of leftover bits dungeon research and came out with some styrene options (to be heavilly modified, of course):

There is also an option to modify an Alpha Jet LG set, that I have also available. Maybe the Alpha Jet set is more correct as a base, since it has roughly the same LG design as the Heinkel.

By the way, the Heinkel is ready for the paint shop.

Maybe RLM76 overall with green mottling, RLM66 cockpit, natural metal (or RLM02) LG, wells and intake trunking? How about a metal plate at the guns area?

Cheers, great followers!

• Profile Photo

What's wrong with this bloke?
    Great dig into the spares box - just to ensure a PFP will become a lasting object. I understand that there is a way to make resin stronger (heat in the curing process?) but has to be done in the manufacture. Special Hobby has added some extra strong resin gear for some of their recent kits.
    Looking forward to the paint, but please keep us updated on the journey there as usual my friend!