Airmodel 1/72 Heinkel P.1078C Resin

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 142 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airmodel, Heinkel, Luft '46, P.1078C, resin
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Patafixed!

Before

After

Ready for the paint shop!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Cool idea, Spiros (@fiveten). I had never heard of Patafix before, but I discovered it is available from Amazon and I have a couple of packs on their way. I assume you can reuse it after painting?

• Profile Photo

Yes, you can reuse it many times, George @gblair!
    Indeed, this has been used 5 or 6 times (you can see some IJN green on it!).
    It's a nice stuff, letting you achieve a smooth yet tightish demarcation line (I call it "hardsoft" line...). If you check my Val build, you can see the demarcation line.
    It normally leaves no residue, but I always Future my matt enamels before applying it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

George (@gblair), it is usually available in your local officesupply store - in Denmark we call it "Teachers chewinggum" 🙂

Spiros (@fiveten), indeed it is re-useable. I keep mine in a small plactic container and I do not really know how long it lasts - I have never thrown mine out, just adding some fresh now and then.

I have had it leaving some trace when I used it on matt paint, but it always behaves beautifully on gloss.

• Profile Photo

I might use your storage way, my friend @airbum!
    I usually stuff it back in its original package.
    Yes, it lasts forever.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    This looks really good and I like how it is reusable. This is crazy Greg ! @gkittinger
    As I have a Ju-188 underway at the moment too, as do two of my very good friends. Mine is the Dragon 1/48 scale kit. It has been going together very well.

• Profile Photo

The 188 looks great Lewis @lgardner!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to the paint results, Spiros.
    For sure will also try out this patafix approach on my current P40 build.
    I think if you store this material in such a way that drying out is prevented, it can last forever indeed.

• Profile Photo

It doesn't dry, John @johnb!
    So, no worries!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the tip, Spiros (@fiveten). Got my Patafix from Amazon in just a couple of days. Two packs, which should last for a while. All of those windows on the 188 takes your breath away. Hopefully you are getting a pre-made set of masks for the canopy? Don't forget to finish the Heinkel before you jump into the 188. :o)

• Profile Photo

You're welcome Geogre @gblair! I am just plain happy that my technique is of some use!

Hope my technique will suit your style (and it most probably will!).

If you spray at "right" angles, meaning not directly inside the point that the patafix touches the area, you will get that infamous "hardsoft" demarcation line: soft, but not as soft as in freehand; hard, but not as hard as with masking tape. I think you will love its realistic looks!

Patafix will also be very useful in obtaining demarcation lines at practically any shape you like.

Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Painting!

My first thought was to give the Heinkel a dark green top. But, as towards the end of the war the Luftwaffe started to realize (or not?) that bluish/grayish shades can provide quite a few camo advantages to fighters (do I hear Mirage2000 bluegray camo calling?), I wondered if a topsides light bluegray would not be out of place.
    So, here it is:

It looks kind of cute (but again, ANY color would look cute on that beautiful design...)

P.S. Here is the Patafix after removal, ready for its next mission!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

nice whatif!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looks fantastic, Spiros.
    Will go and try this ony my P40 to get the camouflage right.