An unusual 109 – Swiss AF, F-2 to F-4 conversion

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 24 · 8 years ago · 109, me109, swiss, zvezda
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Yes, this is yet another 109, but I just want to have some easy and relaxed build instead of fighting again with short run kit. So, I've picked up Zvezda 109F-2 in 1:72 scale from my stash. It's a snap fit kit, but it's also well detailed.

Included painting schemes are boring, so after a some search I've found what I wanted – Swiss 109F. But it was F-4 version and what I have is F-2. Main differences between these version includes: propeller with broader blades, smaller air radiator intake under the cowling, external armored glass windshield. Also there is some minor differences. So, my F-2 should be converted into F-4.

I have remains of PE sets for Tamiya and Academy 109E so I'm gonna use some parts from it like seat belts. Also I have propeller blades for G (I think it's for G/K) which I will use as replacement. Gun barrels from Master Model will be a good addition too.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Propeller. You can see from the drawing that F-2 blades are thinner, so I've cut out them and glued new ones.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

According to the drawings I have some parts were not present on F-4, so I've removed them (pointed by red arrows). Also plastic has many defects which needs to be filled.

PE parts were added to interior and landing gears (also with scratched pipelines). Intakes and exhausts were drilled out.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Nice work Dimitry, will watch this with interest - I think Swiss schemes suit the 109 well! Cheers

• Profile Photo

Yes, I do think so too! Especially early 109 (D and E) looks very good.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Dmitry, great and unusual choice! Is there one with the nuetrality red and white stripes?

• Profile Photo

No Bernard, it's without stripes unfortunately, only with standard white cross on red. Kora producing such decals, so I've get this info from it.

• Profile Photo

I've added navigation lights made from colored and clear styrene. Also some panel lines were not present on the upper side of wings - so I've scribed it.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I'd venture to say more money was spent on all the after-market than the kit, right...? As you say, however, it looks like a pretty nice kit for a snap-together. A 48th scale 109 is hard enough to work on...I can't imagine the difficulty in working on a 72nd version. By the way, if I'm not mistaken, Switzerland was neutral during WWII, so why did they feel the need to have Me (or Bf, if you prefer) 109's in their air force? Come to think of it, what's the difference in Me or Bf...? Place of manufacture?

• Profile Photo

I've used some of the PE parts before on my 109E-3 about a year ago, so the only thing I've bought for this 109F was painting masks (because I'm lazy) and a set of gun barrels. So, after-market parts is nearly at the cost of the kit, yes.

Switzerland has a lot of 109's and other war planes (event P-51's). At the start of the WWII there were some accidents between German and Swiss pilots, but later Swiss AF didn't take part in any military actions.

Bf is an abbreviation for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG which was renamed to Messerschmitt AG after success of Bf108, 109 and 110. So that's why early 109's are Bf, and a later ones are Me.

• Profile Photo

I think that is right. The Swiss were very forceful about maintaining their neutrality, and would force down, or shoot down, if need be any belligerent aircraft, venturing into their airspace.
    The crews would be repatriated but their aircraft impounded.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 9 months ago:

I too am "lazy" when it comes to canopy masks, Dmitry...besides they look better than MY masking attempts. Thanks for the explanation re 'Bf ' vs. 'Me' - (didn't realize it was the SAME manufacturer - always thought it was akin to the TBF vs. TBM Avengers).

So David...in essence, most -if not all - Swiss aircraft were more or less "captured"...?

• Profile Photo

Yes, and those that could be returned to flying condition were - hence Swiss Mustangs etc.

Many of the allied aircraft were damaged of course and crews flew to Switzerland to avoid capture. The Swiss did manage to obtain some late model Me 109's late on in the war to replace their pre war Me 109 D's and E's. I understand that Germany was reluctant to supply these and only agreed to do so in return for the destruction of a Me 110, with advanced radar that had force landed after chasing a damaged British bomber over the border.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Some updates. Wheel bay painted and weathered. Also I've made windows in it. Interior painted and weathered too, so now it's ready for further assembling. Also I've made additional (armored) windshield - it should be installed after painting during the final assembly.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Watching this with interest. The cockpit really looks the part.