Aifix 1/48 Spitfire XIV – high back conversion

Started by Tom Cleaver · 20 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

So, I had this fifth kit I got last year, and it was obvious (by the lack of doing anything with it) that I had done enough "low back" Spitfire XIVs. Since Airfix continues to refuse to modify their PR XIX fuselage and combine it in a box with the rest of this kit and create a "license to print money" for themselves, I decided to solve my desire for a "high back" XIV myself. This was assisted by finding an ancient Fujimi Spitfire Vb in the estate sale at the LHS for cheapcheapcheap.

So, it turns out that, comparing the kits, the Fujimi kit is indeed 1/50 (in case you were wondering), but it is interestingly "1/48" as regards the fuselage between the wing and tail. It's long enough and proper sized to allow to be cut out and combined with the fuselage of the Airfix kit.

As you can see from the photos, once I have sanded things down and rescribed, the project can continue as an "OOB" build of the Airfix kit. And I have Xtradecals for high-back Spitfire XIVs, so all is well.

Looks like this spurt of modeling will be slowing, since my publisher is now seriously threatening to have the contract for the next book in my e-mail by Friday. But getting away from Facebook gives me time to keep it up here as "relief" when I hit writer's block.

for some reason there seems to be a problem with WordPress allowing me to upload pix, so hopefully something will get fixed and I will put up pix then.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Chances are that Airfix is going to release a highback XIV about a couple of days before calling your project done 🙂
    This is a very cool conversion, Tom @tcinla!
    Indeed, very interesting that the piece you wanted from the 1/50 Fujimi is 1/48 ish...
    Life is wonderful sometimes.
    Looking forward to your pics!

• Profile Photo

Oh joy, the site is fixed! Here are photos of the fuselage at beginning and now at end.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking really cool, Tom @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Very nicely done, Tom.
    No signs of surgery.

• Profile Photo

So, much progress yesterday.

Cockpit painted and assembled. Only departure from OOB was Eduard seatbelts.

Fuselage sub-assembly completed with attachment of horizontal stabilizers, elevators and rudder. When doing an early F.XIV, use the "narrow chord" rudder - if you're doing the FR XIVE, use the wide chord rudder.

Wing attached thusly: lower wing first, attach firmly to fuselage. Then upper wing. That way it fits over the landing gear attachment, and you can push it up against the fuselage nice and tight. You will notice in the fully-assembled shots that the only place where I used Mr. Surfacer is the surgery for the upper rear fuselage.

Fully assembled - no putty anywhere but the upper rear fuselage. Careful attachment of parts will result in this.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nice fitting, Tom.
    Rapid progress.

• Profile Photo

Great, quick progress, Tom @tcinla, as well as great mini tutorial.
    Cockpit looks nice'n'busy.

• Profile Photo

Here it is painted. Used Tamiya's RAF colors: RAF Dark Green XF-81, Ocean Grey XF-82 and Sea Grey Medium XF-83, thinned 60/40 after preshading. Painted the yellow leading edges, then masked them off, then preshaded, then the lower surface Sea Grey Medium, masked off the borders with the upper colors, which were freehanded with my Paasche-H using a #1 tip.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I could have never achieved that 12 hour progress with enamels...
    So, I can realize one of the clear benefits of acrylcs.
    Beautiful, spotless result, Tom @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Plus acrylics don't smell, so those sharing your home will be less likely to look askance at your hobby.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Not to sound politically correct, but if the Fujimi spine works, why NOT use it? Reduce, re-use, recycle!

I like the shapes so far.

• Profile Photo

Now decals are on. I used the kit decals for the national insignia and stencils, and pieced together the individual markings and serial from the Victory Productions Decals "Spitfire: Aces of the Empire" sheet. The markings are for EB-B, SM826 of 41 Squadron, flown winter and spring of 1945 by S/Ldr J.B Shepherd, who scored at least 3 of the 8 victories he got with 41 flying this airplane, including a Bf-110G towing a Me-163 on April 14, 1945. Tony Gaze scored 2 and Pat Coleman 1 in SM826 at the end of April.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those decals really added to the looks!
    I can imagine Squadron Leader Shepherd spotting the 110 towing a Comet...(not a difficult target, but) what a sight...

• Profile Photo

Awesome progress, Tom.
    Agree on the acrylics, they dry so quickly, making them ideal for fast modelling.
    Also cleaning the airbrush afterwards is so easy.