Arma Hobby 1/48 PZL P.11c

Started by Tom Cleaver · 24 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

So, the review copy of this eagerly-awaited kit arrived Monday.

It lives up to the reputation already established by Arma with their 1/72 Hurricanes, Yak-1 and FM-2 releases. High quality throughout with superb surface detail. In fact, the surface detail on the wings is so good, so fine, that - unpainted - the only way you know the corrugations are there is to scrape a fingernail over the surface. Hopefully, the proverbial "coat of paint" will pop those out.

The kit assembles easily. The only area that was time-consuming at all was installing the detailed cockpit - the cockpit took more time than all the other assembly combined. The "Master" series kit comes with some photoetch for the cockpit. My experience is that it's nice, but once the cockpit is assembled and the fuselage closed up, it disappears.

I am leaving off installation of the engine until everything has been painted.

Overall, this kit is an excellent opportunity for @j-healy to renew his Gold level membership in the I Can Resist Everything But Temptation Club. ( 🙂 ). Just remember that while it is a "high end" limited run kit, "limited run" is the operative term here. Take care in assembly and all is well. this was assembled without any filler anywhere.

Next: Painting.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Yep, looking amazing, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

You aren’t kidding, Tom! That looks really great. I’m holding fast though, still have a Mirage PZL to build.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years ago:

It is a great looking kit, can´t wait to see the finished kit. I am still hoping that they will release the early P.11a version, I have a fantastic paint scheme for that version in my virtual stash.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Very nice interior, Tom.
    Although interiors are almost gone when fuselage is closed, it is still one of my favorite parts to build.
    Especially when they are as detailed as this one.

• Profile Photo

@j-healy - I too have the Mirage P.11c - which has the fingerprints of some of those involved with this kit on it. As good as that kit is - and it is certainly nothing to dismiss - this one blows it out of the water. Primarly better design through CAD, and better molding. It's hard to believe the surface detail on the two kits exists on the same planet.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

Well-timed, Tom (@tcinla). I just picked this kit up last weekend. Interior looks great.

• Profile Photo

You will love it, @gblair.

• Profile Photo

Painted. First preshaded, then the lower surfaces painted with RLM76, a shade "close enough" to Polish "blue-grey." the upper surfaces done with a mixture of Tamiya XF-79 Linoleum Brown andf XF-51 Khaki Drab to match the Khaki/Brown of the painting instructions.

Now under the proverbial "coat of paint," the very delicate corrugation in the wing can be seen under good light, but still more easily identified by running a finger over the surface.

The guys who designed this designed the Mirage kit, which was previously the best P.11 - this is what CAD and new molding technology can do - it's an order of magnitude better than the Mirage kit.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years ago:

Looking great, my friend @tcinla, and I love the shades!
    Of course, I have two Mirage P.24s (The "F" and "G" HAF versions): punishing myself, I am going to try putting them together, now that the better Arma Hobbies are here...
    At least, they are Mirages, and I AM a *Mirage" guy 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years ago:

Coming along great, Tom. Your paint work looks spot on.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - don't worry, that's a good kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years ago:

Great progress, Tom.
    Quite a lot of panel lines I have to say.
    They created a very nice shading effect.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years ago:

I love the brown on this plane, Tom (@tcinla). Shading looks great under the topcoat.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - it turned out on further examination to be too brown, so I added in some yellow and got to the shade of khaki brown that was right. It still looks good. (Photos soon)