B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 102 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

Well here we go, I am an extremely slow builder, but it is my hope that blogging it here will entice me to build at a more consistent pace. Of course the fact that I work 60 hours a week and tinker on vintage cars, take care of my yard and house as well as my ill wife may have some impact on my pace.

All that aside I am excited about this build. I am using the Monogram kit, I started re-scribing it years ago and am pretty much done. One of the thing I discovered long ago was that before you move on take pictures because your errors seem to pop under the unforgiving eye of the camera. I have done all the panel lines and now I have to go back and fix my mistakes. I circled one of my mistakes in the picture. I started the build with the wings, closing out the air inlets, opening the air inlet scoops and drilling out the exhaust. I am discovered from pictures that a great deal of the wheel wells are fiction in the Monogram kit. It is not my goal to correct that because for the most part no one will ever see that anyways. Once I put the wings together, I will begin work on the fuselage, as you can see I have lots of aftermarket thanks to my very good friend Ed. I will not use it all but selectively to produce the best results with the least amount of work. (MAYBE)

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Sign me up for the ride! - B-17's are such great kites, and I have had the privelege to a tour of one during rebuild (Liberty Bell) that had incorporated some items from one salvaged in Greenland when I worked there. Very nice progress with the loads of work re-scribing those lines, and the more recent work on the intakes. Thank you for sharing. (you may have noticed there are two posts you made on this one - you can rather easily delete the other one, and keep this one as the one to go with)

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

I have reached out to my friend Ed, and should have paint on the way soon. In the mean time I continued with my wing build up and focused on the Engines. I am going to add photo etch cowl flaps, but I find photo-etch in general for certain things more trouble than its worth. So the engines themselves are just the kit supplied engines. I used nylon thread to add the spark plug wires and painted them. I think in the cowls they will look just fine.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years ago:

Those spark plug wires look great - good call there!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Once the engines are in their cowlings you won't be able to tell whether they are kit engines or aftermarket. The wires are a great touch.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

Well I was able to get the Photo-etch flaps onto the cowls and I like the way they look but they really are a pain to put on. Still I think it will be nice subtle improvement to the kits closed cowl flaps. I am not doing any other control surfaces as neutral is what I see in most pictures, but the cowl flaps are usually open. I also like the way the kit engines look inside in the cowls.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years ago:

Really nice touch there Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman. It's the kind of detail that really sets a kit off compared to others.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years ago:

Walt I agree with James.. first the engines look great in the nacelles. Second, (I do it all the time, but) it pains me to build a kit with molded on cowls... Definitely worth the effort to open them up, so much more aesthetically pleasing.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

Well my appreciation for and dislike of Photo-etch continues. After reviews the poor quality of the resin, and looking at pictures, I decided to use Eduard Photo-etch to enhance the interior along with some simple scratch building. I spoke with my good friend Ed, and my paint will be here soon but I will start painting soon. I still have some more details to add, but I am liking where this is headed, an good painting should really make it pop.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 10 months ago:

I know it has been a while, but I was waiting for paint from my friend Ed. I know he has a nice stash of paint, but Ed is a great friend. I asked for a couple of bottles of various colors of paint from his stash, but Ed who works at a hobby store instead went out and bought boxes of paint for me! While waiting for the paint to come into the store he seemed to have something else planned. So can you say "Best Friend Ever". He called to tell me my box was on its way and would be here to day and that I would be surprised. To say the least I was! Seems a Hong Kong Models B-17 was included with my paint.

Along the way though I have made some progress on the interior painting it black and then doing the silver areas and starting to do individual parts. I hope to make good progress in the upcoming days now that I have my paint. THANKS ED!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's a nice and really detailed project coming along, Walt, @luftwaffe-birdman.
    Eagerly following.
    Your picked up subject is great and indeed has a lot of personality!
    All the best!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Great friend you have there! - and very nice progress on the build. looking forward to the details painted.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Interior looks great, and will look even better with some paint and weathering. I have this kit in my stash, so I am really interested to see how it all goes together. I'm saving it for a special occasion, since I also have 4 or 5 Monogram B-17s that need to be built at some point. I'm not sure what possessed me to buy all of these kits when I don't have room to display them all. My only defense is that I think B-17s are cool and at one time they were a lot less expensive than they are now.

• Profile Photo

I hope the interior looks better once I start getting color and detail in it. I love the Monogram B-17, even with the made up wheel wells and raised panel lines. I grew up building them and the B-24 kits. For their time they were excellent kits and really not bad even now. The fit is generally good and when its done there is no mistaking what it is supposed to be. Dig in and enjoy, if you don't have shelf space, hang em up! Impressive formation of planes for the model room. My friend Ed has a squadron of B-17 kits, for the same reason as you...he thinks the B-17 is cool!

• Profile Photo

Busy weekend around the house, but was able to get some time in. Got the interior green painted and then the yellow oxygen tanks and then started the wood flooring and desks. just adding those three colors and it is already starting to look better.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.