B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 102 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

QB resin is up there regarding quality, and I have bought a set for the Tamiya 109E - they look very nice indeed, as does the ones you have shown for the B-17. Lookinf forward to be seeing the machined ones on the plane though!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Making progress slowly. Fixing scribed panel lines, seams and glazings. The fuselage went together fairly well, but had a couple places where it was misaligned. After sanding and to correct the panel lines that didn't line up from the two halves and that I didn't scribe correctly the first time. I have a few spots left each of the wings to do also but I am getting close to putting it all together. Really starting to look like a B-17.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, Walt! Looks awesome! The cockpit looks dramatically realistic.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Oh yes - unmistakable shape.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Well really getting close now. All glazings have been glued in and are masked and ready for paint. I glued the wings on. It hasn't all gone smoothly but I kept on pushing forward. The fit of the Radio Operators glass was terrible, and I may still have to do more work to it once I get some primer on it. It is my goal to start painting tomorrow, but the yard and house work may get in the way.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The yard seems less important to me 🙂
    Sorry- I just spent a few days in the Jungle (the former garden) and got at least 2 sq meters liberated, and suddenly modeling seems all the merrier! With those wings on it does occupy quite a bit of the bench. Looking forward to seeing the paint go on! Quite a job just to mask the fella it seems.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). At some point, with a plane this big, it becomes a logistics problem just finding the clear space to work on it. By this time I would be banging it into stuff on my workbench trying to get stuff done. Painting time is getting close.

• Profile Photo

Was a full 15 degrees cooler Monday, only 104 vs. 119 on Sunday, so I got my yard work done. Found some time to get more work done. I painted the clear parts with Interior Green, and then primed to top half. I generally do not primer my builds, but with all the seams and scribing I thought it might be a good idea. I used Floguil Primer straight from the bottle and was very please at how well it covered. (Thanks Ed!). Turns out it was smart to primer, I found a couple scribe lines and a couple seam locations that need attention. Overall though for the size of the kit and the scope of work, I am pretty happy with it. Not perfect but not embarrassing either.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Walt @luftwaffe-birdman!
    You've done some nice progress and your B-17 looks amazing.
    I also like a lot your masking qualities, the belly turret being the star of the show: it indeed looks like a Starwars fighter!
    This is going to be a super B-17!

• Profile Photo

I agree with Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman), it is either a really nicely masked ball turret or something from Star Wars. Wouldn't want to mask it in 1/72.

• Profile Photo

Well let the painting begin. Since the time I made my last post, and started painting a post on the Facebook B-17 Flying Fortress Scale Modeler's Workshop page about building the Swoose popped up, but using the Hong Kong Models kit. Well I followed the link to the Britmodeller Forum where he had blogged his build. First off I would suggest if you want to see how a REALLY good modeler does this kit then I suggest you look at this page. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F235077349-hk-models-b-17g-148-%E2%80%9Cthe-swoose%E2%80%9D-463rd-bg%2F&fbclid=IwAR3DrAF2slt0sNj7jfH7hR2Xd3fCQhc1iKTWRYM5Wp4LqnrnZTAh2aJTRAg

I am absolutely humbled and impressed at the skill at which he built and painted this kit. That said I plod along with my own meager efforts and making the most of the newly found information I got from this blog.

I learned at some point the left horizontal stabilizer was replaced with a bare metal one. I have decided to go ahead and try to duplicate that here. I have a fear of painting aircraft silver or even parts of them. I have never been able to adequately duplicate the natural metal finish that so many superior modelers pull off ( @darren-d , @moixmodels ). I first did my pre-shading using black along the panel lines and then doing a randomly squiggle pattern over the entire model. It is just too big of a kit to just do the panel lines, I think the random squiggles will help bring variable shades to the OD and Neutral Gray when I cover them, plus I use multiple shades of these colors when I paint.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Nice progress,Walt!
    I like a lot your surface preshading.
    Yellow turned out really well, too!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Progress is getting along well.
    Curious how this preshading will eventually look like when the final layers are on.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Seems like it is headed for some heavy weathering with those alu edges 🙂

Looking forward to the next layers - keep it comin'

• Profile Photo

I think your build looks great, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). You are right about adding more than just the panel line pre-shades. The next steps will take a lot of paint and time, so get your paints stocked.