B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 102 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 7 months ago:

@airbum Erik it seems in the Mediterranean Theater, the De-Icing Boots were removed on many aircraft. That left the leading edges underneath bare metal exposed. You can see it clearly on the vertical stabilizer. Its a bit of an issue, because the kit has these surfaces thicker, and I had to sand them down to remove but still leave an indication that they were there. I would have preferred they remained black, but the silver will just add more interest I think. But yes, I think it will be pretty heavily weathered when done.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Walt B, indeed it can pose a challenge to remove them when they are part of the plastic - I did not notice you had done that, and that must be because you have done a great job at removing them!
    It is going to be awesome in that scale with a lot of weathering.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Good catch on the de-icing boots Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). This is a detail I probably would have missed. It is easy to overlook, but once you know about them, its hard not to notice they aren't there. I don't do a lot of research on many of my models, and this is the sort of thing that gets missed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I agree with our friend George @gblair, Walt. It is a very good catch!
    I will keep my eye on from now on as well.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Well its been a while, but have made some progress after some set backs. I painted the silver for the leading edges on a well primed and sanded primer base. Unfortunately when I went to mask off the areas the Tamiya tape lifted some of the silver. Very discouraging and just made me walk away for a few days and get some things done around the house.

I made the decision to sand the silver off, and save it for last, which sucks because you have to basically encapsulate the rest of the aircraft to avoid silver overspray. I started with the bottom Neutral Gray, using four or five variations of the color over the squiggle black. I used the lightest version to shade panels, it may seem a bit glaring now but it will even out with washes and weathering. In general I am only moderately happy with the results. I would give myself a C+ maybe, but have great hope I can improve it to a higher grade with the detail and weathering to follow.

As usual I don't think the camera captures the color and variations as well as the eye does, but it does show some.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I can imagine your frustration, Walt.
    But the results from the bottom painting, which is for sure more than a C+, are very encouraging.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Walt, moderately happy is better than moderately unhappy, right? Looks good on my screen though, adding a lot of interest to the large surfaces.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Walt @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Well, you can be a strict judge to yourself, but reality is your B-17 looks great so far.
    Your attention to detail is amazing, as well as your hard working in fixing every little glitch that might arise.
    This is a super build, and I eagerly look forward to your progress!
    Definitely not a C, easily an A

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I agree with the others, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I think the belly painting looks great. It will all come together in the end.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

This is one good-looking Fortress you have coming along! The bottom looks great - nice tonal variation, etc. - and man, the "man-cave" you created on the inside looks fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Greg, @gkittinger considering the age of the molds and the laziness of the builder not wanting to get lost in lots and lots of resin or photo-etch I am generally happy with the way the interior came out. I think buttoned up it looks okay. I am looking forward to building the Hong Kong Models B-17 with its very nicely detailed and crisp molding for the interior.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 3 months ago:

wow! Hard to believe it has been over two months, but I guess it has. I got frustrated with the silver paint and decided to put this aside for a while and built a Bf-109 and a nice little Citroen. I got back to this, and had issues with the OD, one of the horizontal stabilizers didn't dry so I had to strip it, and start over, and try and match. In the end I started out with a lightened (with yellow) OD and worked it over with seven different variations of OD until I got to the point I am at now. In general I am content with it, but I still have a ways to go with decals, washes and weathering...after I do the @*#%! Silver!

These pictures have the first three layers of OD on them.

Then after four more layers and variations I have gotten to this point.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

My compliments on this, Walt.
    To me the OD looks very nice.
    And what a huge kit this is in 1/48.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

All that time and attention really makes the paint stand out.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great, Walt!