B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

• 49 posts
  • Last reply 1 week ago
Viewing 46 - 49 of 49 posts
  • Walt B said 1 week, 2 days ago:

@airbum Erik it seems in the Mediterranean Theater, the De-Icing Boots were removed on many aircraft. That left the leading edges underneath bare metal exposed. You can see it clearly on the vertical stabilizer. Its a bit of an issue, because the kit has these surfaces thicker, and I had to sand them down to remove but still leave an indication that they were there. I would have preferred they remained black, but the silver will just add more interest I think. But yes, I think it will be pretty heavily weathered when done.

• Erik Gjørup said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Walt B, indeed it can pose a challenge to remove them when they are part of the plastic – I did not notice you had done that, and that must be because you have done a great job at removing them!
    It is going to be awesome in that scale with a lot of weathering.

• George R Blair Jr said 1 week ago:

Good catch on the de-icing boots Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). This is a detail I probably would have missed. It is easy to overlook, but once you know about them, its hard not to notice they aren’t there. I don’t do a lot of research on many of my models, and this is the sort of thing that gets missed.

• Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week ago:

I agree with our friend George @gblair, Walt. It is a very good catch!
    I will keep my eye on from now on as well.

Viewing 46 - 49 of 49 posts