Bismarck Sighted !!! 1/48 Monogram PBY-5 Catalina that spotted the Bismarck, for David Thomas

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Recently my good friend David Thomas made me an offer that was hard to turn down. He gave me several unbuilt 1/48 scale airplane models from his collection. One of these kits was this PBY Catalina you see here.

Part of the agreement was that I build this PBY-5A for him as he originally intended. David sent me the various accessories that he wanted to incorporate with the build. A set of canopy masks,

a replacement resin tail assembly made by Belcher Bits,

two replacement resin engines (that have a lot more detail than the kit parts),

and the necessary decals for the actual PBY that found and reported the Bismarck to the Royal Navy.

The resin tail is supposed to correct a problem with how the tail tapers down on the kit. Apparently the real plane is more narrow than the kit has been molded. There's a PBY undergoing a restoration to a static display level nearby, so I'll make a few trips and try to get some pictures of the real thing as we go...

This is the plane I'll be building. It's a PBY-5 to the best of my knowledge so far.

This means I'll have to convert it over from an amphibian to being strictly a water based plane that has optional trolley wheels that were attached as needed and used for beaching. Luckily I have another seaplane style PBY-5 in the stash. This is the older Monogram kit that I have had for about 20 years now. Who knows, maybe it will get tossed into the build as things play out.

Here are the main differences that I will have to fix on the amphibian plane. I'll end up adding some plastic sheeting to cover the wheel openings in this area.

Once done it should look like this and be a solid panel with no retractable landing gear.

The nose wheel area will have to be fixed as well. I hope this will be an easy modification.

The decals that David provided are very nice.

It will look great in the display case for several reasons. You don't see many PBY's built to begin with, and of the few you do see completed, hardly any at all are painted in these colors. There are several other planes shown on the instructions.

This is an upper plan view of the camouflage pattern on the upper wing surfaces.

Aero Master has even included a short history behind the plane. This is a nice touch.

Should I decide to build the PBY I have had in the stash for years, I have this decal sheet to use. I originally wanted to build mine as a plane from NAS Jacksonville. The "Black Cat" scheme is starting to grow on me too, but so is the Atlantic scheme, so now I'm really undecided...

These are also a nice set of Aero Master decals.

Now I hope that I can do this build some justice, and that I don't let David down with his expectations. I have never attempted a complete resin tail replacement before, so this will be a learning experience for me.

Since this seaplane version had a separate tail wheel dolly as part of the beaching gear, I don't have to worry about it being a "Tail Sitter". The tail wheel assembly will take care of that.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Ok, building 2 Catarinas is no minor feat, the size and details (parts and paint/weathering) is a daunting task, at least to me. But if there is someone who can bring this cats home it’s you Louis! Let the assembly line roll...
    I’m also curious about the BB detail, looks a bit raw from here. I hasn’t aware the kit had issues, let alone one that demands an entire tail section.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I wasn't aware of the problem with the tail section either. The resin parts taper down in one section by about 3/8 inch or approximately 10 MM towards the rear fuselage. Maybe there's a minor shape problem with the outline of the rudder ?

These are only guesses on my part, so please don't accept this as a fact. I will do a side by side comparison between the two rear fuselage sections once I get to that point. I'm hopeful it will be more obvious when I can see both parts sitting next to each other side by side.

The outside surface of the Belcher Bits is actually quite nice. There's a little bit of resin cleanup that needs to be taken care of at the ends of the parts. The interior section of the resin looks a bit rough, but it's not visible once assembled and installed to the kit fuselage section. There's enough material there that if I was building an amphibian, and expected it to sit properly on the nose wheel without having to add too much weight inside the nose, (or simply rely upon the clear plastic stand), I would consider grinding out the interior portion of the resin to make it thinner and lighter.

Overall they look like very decent parts.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, I believe the major complaint about the tail section is that it is too wide. The real planes tail pinches down to a thinner cross section. I think I might have a better picture at home and will send later. Meanwhile, have a look here: http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb5.htm

This is one of the birds that is definitely on my Wish List! Would really like to see how yours turns out!

• Profile Photo

James my dear friend, @jamesb

Today I stopped by and visited with some of my friends at the airport. They are quite busy and have little room left inside the hangar. What is so cool is at this very moment they have not one, but TWO Catalina's there now.

Naturally I had to grab a few pictures to show how the tail looks on a real life 1 to 1 scale plane.

And as I expected, you were right ! Spot on the money.

Here's a few pictures to show everyone what we are talking about...

This plane is getting painted and not a full on restoration. It will be for a static display and is eventually headed to Eastern Europe.

Here's a nice side view of the rear fuselage. Notice how it tapers. The vertical fin, rudder and stabilizer assembly have been removed.

Here's the picture that shows what a thousand words can not. Notice the taper here. It's very visible and this is what the kit parts are faulted. If I didn't see this in person, I wouldn't have known.

Good eye James ! @jamesb

This is the same angle, but it shows more of the plane.

This next photo was taken from the Port lower side. Here you can clearly see the step in the fuselage hull. It also shows the graceful lines of the old girl. Yes I just said that ! The Catalina has some nice lines to it in some places.

This last photo shows the tail section... The rudder is getting recovered with fabric at the moment. I'm certain the elevators will be recovered too.

James,
    I followed the link you provided, and it mirrored your comments above. Thank you very much for sharing this information. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

I mentioned there were two PBY's here. This next photo shows you the other one. It's in much better condition and is flyable.

You just don't realize how HUGE the PBY is, until you stand next to one. Here's "yours truly" standing beside one... It's been a great day.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks !

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 4 years, 5 months ago:

OK, I am officially humbled, embarrassed, and flummoxed (I love that word and use it as much as possible) by this thread. Adding to my chagrin is my tardiness in responding.

Louis, you're the real McCoy. I am very grateful for your tackling of this project given so many challenges I know you are facing, off and online. Forgive my delay in responding as I get settled into the Bluegrass after a transplant from the Evergreen.

I do believe only you could do the old bird the justice she deserves, myself included. I never would have caught the whole thing about the Bismarck hunter Catalina not having wheel wells. I originally conceived her as built wheels up (in flight), but even that would've been in error (and an error without excuse, as this fine 1/72 iteration of the very bird shows the proper way to build her https://imodeler.com/2015/07/a-catalina-for-my-dad/). But you're doing your homework, taking field trips to confirm the proper specs, tackling the tough questions ahead of time.

A couple of other observations: 1) grinding down the interior of the resin work is the very ticket to counteract the added weight in the rear, and 2) I couldn't agree with you more about this bird having lovely lines. She is simultaneously graceful and ungainly; ugly yet somehow also very fetching. She was a sight of unspeakable relief to those she came to rescue, and yet a harbinger of doom to those she tracked. The Bismarck tracker was truly one of the most iconic birds of the entire war.

You do me too much honor. Bravo, my friend!

P.S. A bit of trivia on the kit itself: I bought it in Ecuador! And it is Ecuador that calls me away now, making her building impossible for me, hence my bequeathing it upon you, Louis. Funny how things work out...

• Profile Photo

Hello David ! @davidathomas
    I just noticed your response... Now it's my turn to apologize. Things have been a little hectic at home for me too. In spite of this, I have also been busy with the Yamamoto build and I even did some work on the ICM Heinkel 111 and my Monogram B-24.

That's a cool bit of trivia... Funny how life comes around full circle occasionally isn't it ?

I'll definitely grind the interior resin tail section to save some weight in the tail section and make it a little easier for the support structure / beaching gear, and like you I think it's a lovely plane... but I also like the Stuka for the same reason... It's so ugly it's pretty, (if that makes any sense).

Thanks for sharing the link showing how another Imodeler built their PBY Bismarck hunter... That will definitely come in handy a bit later.

Take care my dear friend... and many thanks for everything you have done.

Please stay tuned for another update. It just might be around the next corner. I plan on making another trip to see my friends and the Catalina's they are working on very soon.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Another epic build Louis, your holidays are going to be quite busy.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Hey, no sweat my friend. I'm honored that you'd tackle this in my name. You're going to kill this build, and as the old saying go, "...it needed killing'..."--the Catalina is a great pane, deserves to be in 1:48, and deserves to be done right, by a master. On top of that, the Bismarck Hunter deserves to be built right as well. Your history lesson helped--a chill went through me to hear she was later lost, cause unknown.

• Profile Photo

Hey Chuck, @uscusn
    It's quite possible the Holidays will be a busy time... let's hope so ! Thanks my friend.

Hello David, @davidathomas
    I recently built another PBY that was part of our Midway Group Build last year. I chose the plane that located part of the Japanese fleet and messaged the location back to the US Navy. It was a monumental plane, definitely worthy of building, as is the Catalina that sighted the Bismarck. You made an excellent choice for this very reason.

Imagine what could have happened had the Bismarck not been sighted by your PBY ? That gives me cold shivers too... just as you mentioned how this plane disappeared on patrol. Was it a victim of a Ju-88 or a Fw-200 Condor ? A mechanical problem or did it encounter a surfaced U -Boat ? We may never know...

I appreciate the compliments, however there are far more persons registered on Imodeler who deserve to be called a "master builder" more so than I.

I do sincerely appreciate the kind words.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Great story! Will be following this build with interest!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Looking good so far, Louis. The -5A Catalina was the first amphibian version of this airplane, all the previous models were straight flying boats. If you need a little inspiration for the camo, check this one out. It's a PBY-4 in a field applied camo from the Philippines in late 1941. No waist blisters on this one, just sliding hatches.

I got to fly in a PBY many years ago. It's amazing how little space there is inside...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

That is a great looking camo, Jaime. Is this also in 1/48, or is it in 1/72? Looking forward to seeing Louis' model with paint. Louis, which kind of paint will you be using? I need to buy stock in the paint company, because this is a really large model when done. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hello Michel, @michel-verschuere

This plane has an amazing story behind it... and I feel honored that our friend David Thomas @davidathomas has entrusted me to finish it up for him... Please stay tuned, as this one will start receiving a little more attention in the near future. For now, I have a few other projects that must get finished before a deadline kicks in. Thanks again my friend, and Merry Christmas to you and your family. Take care !

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Jaime, @jetmex

Forgive me for being a bit tardy with my reply. It's only been a little over a month ... Things have been a little hectic around here at the home lately... you know what I mean. That is a really neat looking Catalina and the camouflage paint is spectacular. The one you posted was painted similarly to how some B-17's were done at the Hawaiian Air Depot similarly right after the Pearl Harbor attack. Very cool... if I had another extra 1/48 Revell PBY kit like this, I would seriously consider building up another one using your provided scheme and back dating it to an earlier version of the PBY. The one I have in the stash is slated for another NAS Jacksonville scheme... Thanks again buddy, and Merry Christmas.