CANT Z506b Airone-Alpha Flight resin, 1/48

Started by Bryan W. Bernart · 2 · 11 months ago · 1/48, Alpha Flight, CANT Z506b Airone, float plane, trimotor
  • Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

This is probably the best resin kit I've tackled, despite my limited experience in that realm. It did, however have some issues like warping, twisting and air bubbles-all of which were minor and fairly easy to remedy. My best friend has turned out to be a 12" x12" tile with 220 grit sandpaper stuck to it. Great for flattening join areas.

The inclusion of PE is both a blessing and a curse. Big parts look good, but oversized-the little ones, in most cases were ignored for the sake of sanity.

I joined the wing, floats and fuselage halves by carefully lining them up after hours of dry fitting, strapping the halves with tape and using a "spot weld" of CA between tape stripes, eventually filling the seams with the appropriate goop. All considered, surprisingly little putty was required.

I haven't mentioned the interior, which was sparse and definitely not helped by what I consider the worst instruction sheet known to man, particularly at this price point. I did what you could see in rudimentary fashion, but was uninspired to do much more. Who knows whether what I did was accurate or not...? The internet was of little help.

I managed to over-cut the leading edges of the engine cowlings-so I buried my mistake with Evergreen sheet tortured into shape. Looks OK now, but primer may (will) tell a different story.

I'm ready to begin some priming and pre-shading after staring at it for two weeks.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 11 months, 2 weeks ago:

Ignore the fat fingered lummox.