Caudron G.IV (Late)

Started by Rob Pollock · 25 · 5 years ago · Copper State Models, Windsock Datafiles
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 5 years, 9 months ago:

The booms are now in place, at least secured to the top wing. The lower boom areas still need to have the framework attached, but I'm leaving them overnight to ensure a firm fix on the top sections. So, as you can see, these areas are pretty much hanging free.

I have, however, taken the precaution of affixing the forward section of the tailplane, as it slots into the booms at two points and hopefully will help keep things square.

• Profile Photo

Here the undercarriage framework is installed. I've weighted the axles to ensure when dry the units are square to the boom. Naturally, this process firms-up the fronts of the booms. Each side has four inter-fitting frames. I installed the two more structural sections first and followed-on with the remaining support sections.The fit was good, with only about 1mm adjustment which was probably just a little primer/paint at the ends.

And here everything's ready for the two pairs of wheels to be installed.

The rear section of the tailplane is installed, after a few of the more delicate rigging points are set, as the area is difficult to get to afterwards. Oddly, the attachment to the forward plane is a butt edge with no tab, but it works, with a little TLC.

The four rudders are in place. They've also been pre-drilled for through-rigging lines. There are bracing sections that link between the rudders for stability, but I needed to get the decals in place first so that nothing gets in the way afterwards.

I've applied the decals, which are the French national colour bands on the external faces of the outermost rudders, with serials on the inner faces of these same units. I've just applied softening solution here, so they haven't quite "drawn-in" yet.

There are still a dozen or so rigging eyelets to fit in the area, and then everything will be ready to rig. There's nearly as much rigging around the booms and the tail planes as in the main aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 9 months ago:
    • jaw drop - man oh man Rob, you really pick them! Love it - the subject, the attention to detail, the quality of the work, the...
  • Profile Photo

Close work, certainly. I don’t even think of it as an aircraft, more a continual series of technical challenges. Cheers for looking in.

• Profile Photo

The final assembly of the tail planes and rudders, with all the rigging eyelets attached. I had 120 eyelets as 'spares' for other projects, and now I only have about ten left. And this is as well as the kit's own PE rigging anchors. Just as well I stocked up!

While looking over one the the many rigging diagrams I realised there were several runs from the undercarriage to the lower wing, and also from the undercarriage to the underside of the engine nacelles and the crew nacelle, too. So instead of starting to rig the booms themselves I had to work a couple of hours to clear the other areas. The model is increasingly difficult to handle, with the various runs going in every direction.

And here a couple of photos of the booms rigged out.

I still have the control rigging to complete, which cuts across the interior areas between the booms, and also the tail/rudder rigging. When doing the transverse rigging between the booms as can be seen in the last photo, I noticed that one boom was bowed. I'd inadvertently drawn the rigging line too tight with the result that the boom was distorted when looking down and along the booms from the top. I had to cut away four runs and do them over again, with less pressure. More work, but the correct result!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 9 months ago:

WOW ! I'm speechless... in a good way.

There's something about these early flying machines that just draw me to them like a moth to the flame. I don't build WW1 stuff in 1/48 scale anymore. The eyes are not good enough and my fingers just don't allow me to do rigging at this scale... I do build them in much larger RC form however. 1/6 scale or so. But I'm too chicken to fly one, as I would surely crack one up during the inevitable "prang"...

Very well done my friend. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. I’m 68 this year and have mild arthritis in my fingers so I decided to challenge myself in 1/48 WW1 again just to see how it goes. Seems generally OK so far. The mental aspect is as big a part as the physical one, with these subjects.

I work with an Optivisor at 8x magnification for the rigging, otherwise not possible, but then, what’s technology for if not to allow us to succeed?

This is an an exquisite model, but challenging, so that’s good, right...?

• Profile Photo

The rigging to the tail plane and rudders is now complete. There was also a deal of control rigging leading back from this area to the control stick that sits below and outside the cockpit.

I've spent a week and a half rigging this cat's cradle, but it looks the part, I think. I have the observer's MG to place, which is a combination of a couple of plastic sections and then several pieces of delicate PE, but apart from that and placing the spinners, this is the end of the construction phase.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 9 months ago:

Simply a real beauty - very elegant even though it is so "busy" with rigging.

• Profile Photo

Cheers, Greg. After a fairly intense session completing the rigging and touching up various points, I’ve been able to stand back a little and just look at it, and for all its quirks it is, as you’ve observed, a very elegant model.

I’ve completed the final sections for the MG placement and should have them in place tomorrow, so will try a few photos after that.