Checkerboard nose 190

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 65 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Eduard Fw 190 A-6, JG.1
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

During a conversation with Louis Gardner on pm about present and future modeling projects he told me he had bought quite a few of Eduards latest kits but had some doubts about how sensitive (lets call that way) these kits are to assemble.
    I know that the majority of my fellow modelers here have one or two Eduard kits under their belt, as I do, and perhaps the build experience was good in some and not so good in others, but for those of you never cut the plastic in some of their newer kits I though posting my ongoing Focke-Wulf 190 A-6 would be a good example to show how good I think they are.

I’ve started this kit 3 or 4 days ago and since I wasn’t planning on posting it I took no pictures of the inner parts and the assembling of the fuselage and wings.
    However as long as one takes care in getting the parts clean of any remains of the sprue gate, and do some dry fit test before glue, the result is a trouble free assembling, with very little putty needed.
    I prefer to use liquid glue from Tamyia or similar and aplly it in steps, assuring that each area is align before moving forward. A good exemple where this method pays off is at gluing the fuselage halves and the following step, the mating of the wings to it. These are the most problematic areas regarding getting a good fit if one rushes to it.

Here’s how it stands earlier today

and after I started blackbasing the lot .
    The checkerboard nose will be fully painted because I don’t feel comfortable using decals over such unconforming surface as an aircraft nose is .
    Before starting masking the white to apply the black checkers, I opted to paint the I/D 04 yellow of the lower panels. This way I will permanently mask it until the completion of all painting stages I find this the easiest method when that part comes moulded to the entire nose section.

On the other hand their “newer” 190 family in the form of the earlier versions (the short nose A-2/3/4) all come with a separate lower panel, allowing an easy way to paint them yellow, a cliche when it comes to Focke-Wulfs, thus avoiding the tedious tape masking.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Pedro @holzhamer!
    Your Wurger looks amazing already, and I can only praise your painting skills!
    Eduard kits are exactly as you said: "precise fitting". Once you clean parts well the fall together well!
    Waiting for your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Your Wurger is looking very good. Thank you for posting this work in progress.

I ordered some of the new tool Eduard kits this weekend, mainly because they had a 20 percent off sale going on at Sprue Brothers, and I couldn't resist it any longer... 🙂 So while I was there, I pulled the trigger on two of the 1/48 scale Modelsvit Bf-109C and D kits too, one each respectively.

I am especially looking forward to getting my hands on the "newer" Fw-109A2. It, along with some other 109's and 109's, are scheduled to arrive on December 4th. I also picked up some of the "overtrees" as I have a decent Luftwaffe decal collection stashed away, with various unit badges and numbers.

I'll keep your comments about fitting the parts and how to glue things together in mind when I crack open the box. This will most likely happen soon.

Who knows, we might just have to start a "Luftwaffe" group build in the future... 😉 That would give me the perfect opportunity to finish up the previously started ICM He-111, Dragon / DML Ju-188, and we just might get to build our Do-17's that we have talked about for a few years.

Like our good friend Spiros @fiveten
    has stated, I too am looking forward to your next installment...

Your 190 looks great as it is now. It seems that Eduard has packed a lot of detail into these new tool kits. Thank you again my friend... 🙂 You have convinced me to go over to the dark side.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the comments mates!
    Before moving up the masking to paint the black checkers, I removed the masking around the lower panels, and the job looks satisfactory. Some blemishes caused by my finger nails around the where paint will need retouch but nothing unusual

I also include some photos of the propeller, already completed minus some extra weathering, and the various parts that compose the la ding gear
    I am using Master barrels to replace the plastic ones but other than that this kit is entirely OOB (its the profipack box)

Some of you might have noticed that I don’t have the forward fuselage gun cowl in place. I plan to only glue it after the entire checkerboard nose is painted and masked, because only then I’ll start with the plane’s 74/75/76 camouflage. The fit of that part is so precise that you need to press it down a bit to get it in place

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Sorry, I'm a bit late for this party, but now I'm strapped in. What a great sum-up of happenings - and all looks to be the usual great quality we've come to expect from you Pedro (@holzhamer).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Great achievements in just a couple of days, Pedro. @holzhamer
    Did you paint the spinner cone yourself or is that a decal.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro @holzhamer, what a nice progress!
    I love those landing gear bits and, of course the amazing looking propeller!
    Louis, my friend @lgardner, a Luftwaffe GB, that will follow EoJ GB's footsteps would be, I risk to say, a miraculous GB!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

@holzhamer: Beautiful work on this and very smart move not to use the Eduard decals for the checkerboard. They're very thin and there's a good chance you could have them fold up on you.

I'm particularly interested in seeing how that "scribble" pre-shading works when you paint the camo.

For anyone who has the slightest doubt that the new Eduard Fw-190s are the most modeler-friendly kits around right now, Pedro's work here should demonstrate that, and if you still doubt there are all the new Eduard 190s I have done. You really have to put a lot of thought, preparation and concentration into one of these to screw it up. They want to go together!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

@lgardner: Also check my reviews of these kits. You're going to have a fun time with them.

• Profile Photo

@JohnB - Thank you John, but it is a fast track assembly kit, even more when you already made quite a few of them before like I have. The spinner is the one provided in the kit’s decal sheet.

@airbum - Erik, you’re very welcome as usual, and not at all late to the party 😉

@fiveten - Spiros, I tend to subassembly my builds. There’s a lot one can do while glue or painted surfaces dry. It saves time and also airbrush cleaning sessions in between

@tcincla - Tom, thank you for the comments and I absolutely agree with your past experience with these new generation of Eduard’s homemade decals. Although they are very nicely made in terms of colours, sharpness and thin carrier film, they do “stick” to the surface as soon as you lay them, so abundant warm water is mandatory to get them to move around in position... and even then it’s tricky! But they can be tamed, at least I could tame the spiral. Painting the checkerboard nose is a far better option even if it’s time consuming. I had to trip the entire paint because my first attempt was a screw up, but that’s what happens when one moves out of the comfort zone right? We learn by mistakes.
    And yes, your frequent reviews of this 190 family is spot on regarding what the plastic delivers, great value for the money if you ask me.

• Profile Photo

After a first failed attempt, I repainted the whole nose again and decided to do the more traditional approach to paint this scheme, meaning measure & cut the squares masks one by one... takes time but much more efficient I’d say. Here’ how the first section was masked

and after stripping the tape how it looks Some minor refinements here and there are needed but so far so good! Better order some new tape rolls just in case

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

The checkers look great ! I know from experience this is not something that is easy to do. I painted on the yellow and black checkers on the tail of a P-40 build that was done for the Kasserine Pass GB a few years ago.

• Profile Photo

@lgardner

Louis my friend, I just went back to see your P-40, one of your fantastic Iron Werks, but strangely one I don’t recall, so it was a pleasure reading the whole thread. May I ask how did you cut all those tiny squares in one piece of tape?

As you can see it’s not my method here, but then again the surfaces you painted were flat, these are not. You are right about not being a piece of job, but then it’s much more fun to paint them than to use a decal. It’s more time consuming than difficult, since I ‘m working in cowl areas one at the time

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

A perfect looking checkerboard, Pedro.
    So much better than a decal variant.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Oh boy, those checkers really stand out Pedro! Well done @holzhamer!