Cygnus Models TF-102 Conversion.

Started by Josh Patterson · 5 · 4 years ago · Cygnus Models, resin, TF-102
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I just had another box of resin arrive at my door. Right on the heels of Robert Royces's earlier F-102 post comes this Deuce conversion. It is also at the other of the difficulty spectrum from the HPH B-52.

The kit has all you need to convert Monogram's F-102 into the two seat trainer nicknamed "The Tub". The parts are molded from resin, but not placed in a vacuum chamber so there are a few pin holes to contend with. Also, although the nose is hollow it will take quite a bit of prep work to get the interior to fit.

Cygnus gives you two options with the decals which are very nicely printed. One uses the case X wing, the other the case XX. The big difference is seen at the trailing edge. The case X has a flat trailing edge while the case XX has the conical camber wing as seen on the F-106 and B-58. Attention needs to be paid as to which kit you buy. The Pro-Modeller kit uses the case X wing.

The kit then needs to have the appropriate surgery done to mate the forward and aft fuselage sections. This is a cut/fit/repeat exercise that tries ones patience. This is why I would recommend an HPH kit to a first time resin builder. (I've also heard Fisher kits are quite nice, but he's not doing business right now having lost his home and shop in the California wildfires. I did really want his 1/32 Christen Eagle and F7U Cutlass kits.) Despite the number of parts, most of the prep work is done and they don't use the massive pour blocks that sometimes causes part breakage. Frustration of a newcomer is what leads to them saying "never again" and then one misses out on other offerings when resin kits or conversions are the only game in town.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I am really looking forward to this build. There weren't many of the two-seat versions of either the actual F-102 or the F-106, so models of them are rare. I have a 1/72d scale conversion for the F-102 that I have been dragging around for 30 or more years, but it is fairly primitive compared to the parts in your pictures. Every time I think about all those vortex generators on the canopy my hands start to shake.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

The B-52 has a ton of photoetch generators, but at least HPH gives them to you. Cygnus gives you full scale drawings of the real ones for the TF-102! I have some very thin copper sheets that I will be using to make them. Struck out at Hobby Lobby and Hobbytown today looking for the Wisconsin ANG release of the Duece.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Nice project, Some say that the F-4 Phantom was ugly. It's funny that there were more kits produced of the F-16XL and F-20 and none were done of the two operational aircraft, the F-106B and TF-102.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for sharing this, Josh. I've been thinking of getting that set.