Dad's Dr-1, 1/48 DML

Started by Robert Royes · 3 · 4 years ago · dml, Dr-1
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Well, I've decided to dive into Dad's Fokker Dr-1. A goodly amount of it was started already. The lower wings are in place ,but one of the struts has been damage I'm going to try to beef it up. What a pain in the a--- the pe for the air cooled guns were, their not pretty . Because he motorized it, he imbedded a functional brass axle in the landing gear, I think I can leave it as is.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for starting this build journal Robert. There was a German Ace who flew an all black Dr-1. His name was Josef Jacobs. He was the 4th all time highest scoring German pilot from the Great War. He survived WW1, and then refused to take part of the Nazi's Luftwaffe during WW2. He remained in hiding in Holland since Goering was out to get him... He passed away in 1978.

Here's a link to a website that goes into some of the details of the plane. I didn't know it, but the plane apparently used a captured Clerget rotary for the engine.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2002/08/stuff_eng_profile_dr1.htm

I'm looking forward to watching your plane come together. Thanks again my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

A little bit of progress, dealing with the pe is a little daunting for my shaky fingers, I already lost a few to the floor monster. I'm going with one of the al black schemes that Jacob used.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.