Doing it the hard way.... 1/72 Wessex HAS.3

Started by Mark J Davies · 10 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Mark J Davies said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I have always believed that helicopter kits look deceptively simple and always end up being more complicated build than anticipated.

This build started on a whim as I had a FAA thing going on. I had built the Italeri H-34 kit basically OOB about ten years ago and recalled it as being fairly straight forward. So the Wessex looked like being a breeze too. The Wessex kit had more flash than the Choctaw, but generally went together well. I added Pavla cockpit set I had been given.

All seemed to be going well, although I decided to make my own engine exhausts from aluminum tube and wire. Then, having got to the point that almost everything was assembled, including undercarriage legs and antenna wire struts, I looked at some images of HAS.3's and began to realise just how much detail Italeri had left out, and how many thing s they had got wrong. I have now spent the last couple of weeks adding various bits as and pieces and pulling some off as well. But I am enjoying it on the whole, so I can't really complain.The model in the photo has bits and pieces loosely clipped on using blue-tac, and I have yet to detail the rotor hub.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Looks great Mark, in fact it looks better than some of my finished efforts! 🙂
    I look forward to seeing the finished article in due course. Nice one.

• Profile Photo
    Mark J Davies said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, I'm about to do some more to it today and prepare for painting.

• Profile Photo
    Mark J Davies said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Wessex is now finished, 31-12-12, so it just makes it as last for the year. A quick build I thought. It was until I did some research! Doing all the mods after fixing the undercarriage and antennas was pretty dumb. Dumber was using an untried white primer that completely stuffed the finish with a gritty residue as I had under-thinned it (Mr Primer 1000). Thought I would continue the experiment with a new matt varnish (Floquil) which I found does not dry! Overall one of my roughest paint finishes ever I think. Just finished the aerial wires today. I will do another Wessex as I like them, maybe a HU5, but I shall do the research first and stick to paints I have mastered.

Happy new year to all.

Cheers,
    Mark

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 3 months ago:

It just goes to show that all the extra work was worth it. Paint troubles aside, I think it looks great, I like the paint scheme you chose. I like military aircraft that have color on them that draws your attention to it and breaks up the usual monochromatic schemes. Good job.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Walt.
    Glad you liked it.
    Cheers,
    Mark

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Mark! I'll save your photos as a manual for doing a Wessex in the future, I have that kit in my stash!

Regarding the finished chopper: please post it as a feature so that it ends up in the Headlines section, I think it ought to be shown to the world!

I don't want to rub it in but never try anything unproven on your latest masterpiece. How do I know? I have learnt it the hard way...

Best regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Hi Magnus,

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Regarding corrections etc. I've since found out that Ron's Resins did a corrective underside for the Italeri HAS.3. My underside corrections were a compromise as I only planned for the model to be on its wheels and it was more work than I could be bothered trying to do to correct the shroud around the dipping sonar aperture.

As to a writing a feature article, unfortunately i can't. I have a commitment to keep my articles exclusive to another modelling web-site, as I'm part of its regular review team.

Cheers,
    Mark

• Profile Photo
    Eduardo Mitchell said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent work - and very useful 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eduardo,
    Cheers,
    Mark